Computer Engineering 08/09
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CHAI MING YUNG(KEW080004)

+6
tohkharpengkew080022
tohguoshenkew080021
Ooi Tiang Chien KEW080018
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
10 posters

Go down

CHAI MING YUNG(KEW080004) Empty CHAI MING YUNG(KEW080004)

Post  CHAI MING YUNG(KEW080004) Tue 12 Jan 2010, 12:05 am

Question 1: Write about yourself
Before I start to write about myself, I try to search for some tips how to write a critical essay. Basically, the word "critical" has positive as well as negative meanings. We can write a critical essay that agrees entirely with the reading. The word "critical" describes our attitude when we read the article. This attitude is best described as "detached evaluation," meaning that we weigh the coherence of the reading, the completeness of its data, and so on, before we accept or reject it.

Let us begin with some details about me. My name is Chai Ming Yung, 22 years old, from Miri, Sarawak. I am second year student of computer engineering, University of Malaya. I have 2 brothers, one of them taken SPM recently and another one study Form 5 this year. My father working as graphic designer at home and my mother is a fulltime housewife. I like this kind of “configuration”, as I can have breakfast, lunch or even dinner every day with my mum and dad as they will at home most of the time. In my opinion, it is very important that we spend more time with our family, have good activities together, especially before we go to study university or going to work, so that we will have a strong relationship among the family members. Parents nowadays will choose to leave their children to childcare centre because both of them are busy with their work. I cannot imagine one day the children will call another person as “Mum” instead of “Kakak”.

I studied in SMK Chung Hua Miri before I enter University of Malaya. I spend 8 years of my life in this particular school. Why? I not fail in any exams, it is just because during my time, the trend is study transition even if you are 7As student in UPSR, and I am the first batch of Form Six student in my school. Thanks to my friends, I had joined many activities or clubs such as Lion Dance Club, Choir, Prefectorial Board, Electronic Club and more. I gain many valuable experiences through these activities and learned how to cooperate with peoples, especially if we are working in a team of one to two hundreds of people like the Orientation Program I had joined during Form 4. Many things can happen in 8 years and I am very glad that I had chosen the right school which has many great teachers and great friends.

After I finished Form Six at year 2007, after a short holiday I start to work as a temporarily teacher with my friends in the same secondary school. At first it is quite weird because those teachers who taught me before are my colleagues now and all of them treat me as their friend, not just between student and teacher anymore. But, what I did not expect is I need to teach moral and sivik in 9 classes which some of the classes’ discipline is not very good. This is challenging as they do not have formulas to memorize or work on, but still they need to memorize all the definition of Moral Values in the text book. What I can say is, moral and sivik subject are boring, if we just learn from the books. So what can I do is to share my own experiences with all my students, as I have been through what they need to go through in this secondary school.

Sometimes I really hope I can help those students who are weak in academic subject, and the most important one is their attitude. I met a student who asks me “is it we need to have sivik exam in PMR?” and he just grab another to chairs and sleep in front of me after I answered “no”! Hence, this shows that teacher cannot do anything without the cooperation of the parents as the student I said had go for counseling section many times, but nothing had change as he is very poor in malay and the counseling teacher are malay teacher who cannot communicate in chinese. Is it hard to learn Chinese? If not, maybe the Malays can try to learn Chinese also as I learn malay language although I am Chinese, and I have malay friend who get A in Chinese subject during PMR.

Recently our government is trying to enhance the relationship between the ethnics through “One Malaysia” vision. Besides, we cannot ignore other ethnics such as Indian, Iban, Kadazan and many more as all of us are Malaysian. After 52 years of “merdeka”, we still have some arguments among the ethnics, and some of those people who think they are clever is trying to make the situation worst by doing some “clever” actions such as attack churches just because the word “ Allah”. This actually happen in Kuala Lumpur, the biggest city in Malaysia, where we do not expect that we still have some uncivilized people who try to solve problems using violence. I think those people really need to learn Critical Thinking as it teaches us to think in a proper way, and solve problems in a proper way.

I want to be an engineer in the future, which can contribute to the society.

References: http://essayinfo.com/essays/critical_essay.php

Question 2: Find out the definition of thinking and the types of thinking, and from there, see how those types of thinking can fit you, now or future.

Definition of thinking:

1. The act or practice of one that thinks; thought; A way of reasoning; judgment
Reference: The American Heritage®️ Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©️2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

2. opinion or judgment; the process of thought
Reference: Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 6th Edition 2003. ©️ William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd 1979, 1986 ©️ HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

3. the process of using your mind to consider something carefully
Reference: WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. ©️ 2003-2008 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

4. Thought and thinking are mental forms and processes, respectively ("thought" is both). Thinking allows beings to model the world and to represent it according to their objectives, plans, ends
and desires. Words referring to similar concepts and processes include cognition, sentience, consciousness, idea, and imagination. Thinking covers numerous diverse psychological activities. It is sometimes a synonym for “tending to believe,” especially with less than full confidence (“I think that it will rain, but I am not sure”). At other times it denotes the degree of attentiveness (“I did it without thinking”) or whatever is in consciousness, especially if it refers to something outside the immediate environment (“It made me think of my grandmother”).
Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought

There are different types of thinking, and I choose 8 of them to present, which are:

1. Critical thinking - This is convergent thinking. It assesses the worth and validity of something existent. It involves precise, persistent, objective analysis. When teachers try to get several learners to think convergently, they try to help them develop common understanding.

2. Creative thinking - This is divergent thinking. It generates something new or different. It involves having a different idea that works as well or better than previous ideas.

3. Convergent thinking - This type of thinking is cognitive processing of information around a common point, an attempt to bring thoughts from different directions into a union or common conclusion.

4. Divergent thinking - This type of thinking starts from a common point and moves outward into a variety of perspectives. When fostering divergent thinking, teachers use the content as a vehicle to prompt diverse or unique thinking among students rather than a common view.

5. Inductive thinking - This is the process of reasoning from parts to the whole, from examples to generalizations.

6. Deductive thinking - This type of reasoning moves from the whole to its parts, from generalizations to underlying concepts to examples.

7. Closed questions - These are questions asked by teachers that have predictable responses. Closed questions almost always require factual recall rather than higher levels of thinking.

8. Open questions - These are questions that do not have predictable answers. Open questions almost always require higher order thinking.
Reference: http://www.ves.wpsb.org/focus/typesofthinking.html

For critical thinking, it is the purposeful and reflective judgement about what to believe or what to do in response to observations, experience, verbal or written expressions, or arguments. Critical thinking involves determining the meaning and significance of what is observed or expressed, or, concerning a given inference or argument, determining whether there is adequate justification to accept the conclusion as true. Hence, Fisher & Scriven define critical thinking as "Skilled, active, interpretation and evaluation of observations, communications, information, and argumentation. Parker & Moore define it more naturally as the careful, deliberate determination of whether one should accept, reject, or suspend judgment about acclaim and the degree of confidence with which one accepts or rejects it.

Critical thinking gives due consideration to the evidence, the context of judgment, the relevant criteria for making the judgment well, the applicable methods or techniques for forming the judgment, and the applicable theoretical constructs for understanding the problem and the question at hand. Critical thinking employs not only logic but broad intellectual criteria such as clarity, credibility, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, significance and fairness.

In the present or future, critical thinking can occur whenever I need to judges, decides, or solves a problem. It is crucial to becoming a close reader and a substantive writer where a well cultivated critical thinker raises vital questions and problems, and formulating them clearly and precisely. This also help me to gathers and assesses relevant information, using abstract ideas to interpret it effectively before comes to well-reasoned conclusions and solutions after testing them against relevant criteria and standards. Besides, I also need to learn how to thinks open-mindedly within alternative systems of thought, and communicate effectively with others in figuring out solutions to complex problems without being unduly influenced by others thinking on the topic.
Critical thinking is an important element of all professional fields and academic disciplines because it enables me to analyze, evaluate, explain, and restructure our thinking, decreasing thereby the risk of adopting, acting on, or thinking with, a false belief.

In the future, I need to think more creative as what I study is computer engineering where everything changes very fast. There are more and more technology come put nowadays and people are trying to push their limit to a higher level. If I am not creative enough in the future, definitely I will out of the market. Creativity can help us to improve our daily life so that we can live in a more convenient environment.

http://alvinchai1101.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

CHAI MING YUNG(KEW080004) Empty Re: CHAI MING YUNG(KEW080004)

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 12:18 am

Ya...They should attend Dr. Rom class Laughing
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Post  CHAI MING YUNG(KEW080004) Tue 12 Jan 2010, 12:23 am

actually normal people can teach them already,or those people can go to school again,especially Dr Rom class. Anyway, we need a peaceful environment to do what ever we need to do, not like now, go to church scare of bomb, even wan to go out for supper also scare will be robbed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Leong Jia Wei KEW080013 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 1:00 am

People really need to get their facts straight before putting religion on the battlefield again...
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013

Back to top Go down

Post  Ooi Tiang Chien KEW080018 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 1:18 am

if those acts were done as steps to show how religious they were, i believe the public would not see them as religious at all.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 1:21 am

Ooi Tiang Chien KEW080018 wrote:if those acts were done as steps to show how religious they were, i believe the public would not see them as religious at all.

All the religions want us to be good. By doing all these things, it just shows not respect to the religion.
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Post  CHAI MING YUNG(KEW080004) Tue 12 Jan 2010, 3:40 am

learn to solve problem by using the proper way,such as go to the court again if not satisfied with the result announced. Malaysia is a country who respect every religion,and the most important thing is if we can solve problem by demonstrating or using violence way, then what is the usage of all the law we had made? How about we take a deeper look at this issue? is it only language matter where "god" is called "allah" in the arab language? In my opinion, language is language, we cannot grab a word and said it is just can used by certain people. If it really happen, then is it the word "tuhan" cannot be used by that particular group? I believe we still can have a peaceful discussion,at least at this forum here as all of us are university student who are well educated enough Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post  tohguoshenkew080021 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 10:08 am

wow great life...
joined so many clubs.. no wonder you are good in socialization CHAI MING YUNG(KEW080004) Icon_biggrin
this make me think that i am just like the inversed of you.... i seldom join any club and that is why make me like a nerd ~ > <

tohguoshenkew080021

Back to top Go down

Post  tohkharpengkew080022 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 10:13 am

ehm, i think actually you maybe should become a teacher.

tohkharpengkew080022

Back to top Go down

Post  WongKiaMing KEW080025 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 10:14 am

I wish i have a colorful life as yours.

tohkharpengkew080022 wrote:ehm, i think actually you maybe should become a teacher.

Yeah, i agree with you, TKP. Razz
WongKiaMing KEW080025
WongKiaMing KEW080025

Back to top Go down

Post  CHAI MING YUNG(KEW080004) Tue 12 Jan 2010, 6:44 pm

kharpeng & kiaming:haha~I am going to do this job again in May 2010 holiday~!Hopefully can meet more interesting people or student,haha~
guoshen:I am the one who admire you~got good result,good face and height,got girl friend and many more~

Back to top Go down

Post  Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 6:53 pm

ehm, i think actually you maybe should become a teacher.
Yeah.. maybe you should go and teach peoples how to think critically before taking any actions. There are still barbaric actions in Malaysia especially in Kuala Lumpur.
Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005
Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005
Admin

https://comp-engin0809.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 6:59 pm

WongKiaMing KEW080025 wrote:I wish i have a colorful life as yours.

tohkharpengkew080022 wrote:ehm, i think actually you maybe should become a teacher.

Yeah, i agree with you, TKP. Razz

Kia Ming, You also have a colorful life wat... clown
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Post  Chia Li - Yan KEW080007 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 7:35 pm

that guy that sleep in front of you, he probably do that because of the way you answer him? Saying 'no' is like telling him that sivik is not an important subject. If i were that boy, i would interpret it that way. But of course i wouldnt sleep in front of teachers. Razz

And we probably learn malay language because it's our national language? If let's say tamil were our national language, we will definitely learn it instead of malay language. And your friend that scored A in chinese is probably because he's learn it since young. So for me if you ask me that question "Is it hard to learn chinese?" now, i would answer 'yes' because i wast chinese educated.
Chia Li - Yan KEW080007
Chia Li - Yan KEW080007

Back to top Go down

Post  Visha KEW080024 Fri 15 Jan 2010, 10:31 am

yup, the quality of time that we spend with family is very important. We are nothing without our parents.

Regarding the church bombings, its in deed a ridiculous act. They dont have to do this just because they are not satisfied with the usage of the word. If they are true to their own religion, they wont be doing this because I am very sure that every religion teaches us how to respect each and everyone as a human regardless of what race and religion.

And now coming to learning language. In this matter, I agree with Chia. For me, language is not something easy. To master another language we should have the interest and enviroment for us to practise is often. All malaysian is able to communicate in Malay because it is a part of education system, we are learning it since standard 1.

Visha KEW080024

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down