Wong Kia Ming KEW080025 complete edition

Go down

Wong Kia Ming KEW080025 complete edition

Post  WongKiaMing KEW080025 on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 12:31 am

WRITE ABOUT YOURSELF CRITICALLY
I am a person who has been living on this planet since 21 years ago. Within these years, I start to understand who I am and what my role in this world is.
When I was young, I was a very lazy person. Usually, when a problem rose, my instinct would tell me that someone will solve it for me. For example, I copied the answer from my friend for Mathematics course. Then, when I grow older and older, I start thinking that laziness brings nothing beneficial to me. So, I try to improve myself not to be lazy and solve problem by myself. Now, I do not guarantee I am a hardworking people, like finishing either group work or housework all by myself, but, at least, I am not the person I know in the past.
I am a person who seeks emotional balance. Everyday, I spend some time alone because it allows me to stay grounded and focused. Also, I always add some new excitement to my life, like climbing a mountain, changing my clearing style and so on. Besides that, I try to find things that spark my interest, things that I look forward to doing, something I can feel passionate about. All these above can make me emotional balance.
When doing a work, I always try to finish it correctly as fast as possible so that I am able to concentrate on other things. If I am stressed, I will do something other than my work, like sleeping. It is because I know if I cannot think out of the box, I will not be able to solve it. When I am the group leader, I always take my group members’ opinion into consideration, and I will try to cheer them up in order to finish the work as fast as possible.
I do not like to have a faux pas with other people. I always try to restrain myself when I am having an argument with my friend. Also, I will always be friendly to my friends and family. I believe that if I am good towards other people, they will be good towards you.
For now, I am taking an engineering course in Malaya University. In order to become a professional engineer in the future, I need to improve myself some more.

Types of thinking

Critical Thinking
Critical thinking is the purposeful and reflective judgement about what to believe or what to do in response to observations, experience, verbal or written expressions, or arguments. Critical thinking involves determining the meaning and significance of what is observed or expressed, or, concerning a given inference or argument, determining whether there is adequate justification to accept the conclusion as true. Hence, Fisher & Scriven define critical thinking as "Skilled, active, interpretation and evaluation of observations, communications, information, and argumentation." Parker & Moore define it more naturally as the careful, deliberate determination of whether one should accept, reject, or suspend judgment about a claim and the degree of confidence with which one accepts or rejects it.
Critical thinking gives due consideration to the evidence, the context of judgment, the relevant criteria for making the judgment well, the applicable methods or techniques for forming the judgment, and the applicable theoretical constructs for understanding the problem and the question at hand. Critical thinking employs not only logic but broad intellectual criteria such as clarity, credibility, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, significance and fairness.
In contemporary usage "critical" has the connotation of expressing disapproval, which is not always true of critical thinking. A critical evaluation of an argument, for example, might conclude that it is valid.
In a seminal study on critical thinking and education in 1941, Edward Glaserwrites that the ability to think critically involves three things:
1. An attitude of being disposed (state of mind regarding something) to consider in a thoughtful way the problems and subjects that come within the range of one's experiences,
2. Knowledge of the methods of logical inquiry and reasoning,
3. Some skill in applying those methods.
Critical thinking calls for a persistent effort to examine any belief or supposed form of knowledge in the light of the evidence that supports it and the further conclusions to which it tends. It also generally requires ability to recognize problems, to find workable means for meeting those problems, to gather and marshal pertinent(relevant) information, to recognize unstated assumptions and values, to comprehend and use language with accuracy, clarity, and discrimination, to interpret data, to appraise evidence and evaluate arguments, to recognize the existence (or non-existence) of logical relationships between propositions, to draw warranted conclusions and generalizations, to put to test the conclusions and generalizations at which one arrives, to reconstruct one's patterns of beliefs on the basis of wider experience, and to render accurate judgments about specific things and qualities in everyday life.
Critical thinking can occur whenever one judges, decides, or solves a problem; in general, whenever one must figure out what to believe or what to do, and do so in a reasonable and reflective way. Reading, writing, speaking, and listening can all be done critically or uncritically. Critical thinking is crucial to becoming a close reader and a substantive writer. Expressed most generally, critical thinking is “a way of taking up the problems of life.” Irrespective of the sphere of thought, “a well cultivated critical thinker":
 raises vital questions and problems, formulating them clearly and precisely;
 gathers and assesses relevant information, using abstract ideas to interpret it effectively
 comes to well-reasoned conclusions and solutions, testing them against relevant criteria and standards;
 thinks open-mindedly within alternative systems of thought, recognizing and assessing, as need be, their assumptions, implications, and practical consequences; and
 communicates effectively with others in figuring out solutions to complex problems; without being unduly influenced by others thinking on the topic.
Critical thinking is an important element of all professional fields and academic disciplines (by referencing their respective sets of permissible questions, evidence sources, criteria, etc.). Within the framework of scientific skepticism, the process of critical thinking involves the careful acquisition and interpretation of information and use of it to reach a well-justified conclusion. The concepts and principles of critical thinking can be applied to any context or case but only by reflecting upon the nature of that application. Critical thinking forms, therefore, a system of related, and overlapping, modes of thought such as anthropological thinking, sociological thinking, historical thinking, political thinking, psychological thinking, philosophical thinking, mathematical thinking, chemical thinking, biological thinking, ecological thinking, legal thinking, ethical thinking, musical thinking, thinking like a painter, sculptor, engineer, business person, etc. In other words, though critical thinking principles are universal, their application to disciplines requires a process of reflective contextualization.
Critical thinking is important, because it enables one to analyze, evaluate, explain, and restructure our thinking, decreasing thereby the risk of adopting, acting on, or thinking with, a false belief. However, even with knowledge of the methods of logical inquiry and reasoning, mistakes can happen due to a thinker's inability to apply the methods or because of character traits such as egocentrism. Critical thinking includes identification of prejudice, bias, propaganda, self-deception, distortion, misinformation, etc. Given research in cognitive psychology, someeducators believe that schools should focus on teaching their students critical thinking skills and cultivating intellectual traits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_thinkin
Lateral thinking
Lateral thinking is a term coined by Edward de Bono, for the solution of problems through an indirect and creative approach. Lateral thinking is about reasoning that is not immediately obvious and about ideas that may not be obtainable by using only traditional step-by-step logic.
Critical thinking is primarily concerned with judging the truth value of statements and seeking errors. Lateral thinking is more concerned with the movement value of statements and ideas. A person would use lateral thinking when they want to move from one known idea to creating new ideas. There are four types of "thinking tools" defined in Edward de Bono's Lateral Thinking: The Power of Provocation manual:
 Idea generating tools that are designed to break current thinking patterns - routine patterns, the status quo:
Random Entry Idea Generating Tool: Choose an object at random, or a noun from a dictionary, and associate that with the area you are thinking about.
For example imagine you are thinking about how to improve a web site. Choosing an object at random from an office you might see a fax machine. A fax machine transmits images over the phone to paper. Fax machines are becoming rare. People send faxes directly to phone numbers. Perhaps this could be a new way to embed the web site's content in emails and other sites.
Provocation Idea Generating Tool: choose to use any of the provocation techniques - wishful thinking, exaggeration, reversal, escape, or arising. Create a list of provocations and then use the most outlandish ones to move your thinking forward to new ideas.
Challenge Idea Generating Tool: A tool which is designed to ask the question "WHY?", in a non threatening way, why something exists, why it is done the way it is. The result is a very clear understanding of WHY? which naturally leads to fresh new ideas. The goal is to be able to challenge anything at all, not just items which are problems.
For example you could challenge the handles on coffee cups. The reason for the handle seems to be that the cup is often too hot to hold directly. Perhaps coffee cups could be made with insulated finger grips, or there could be separate coffee cup holders similar to beer holders.
 Concept Fan Idea Generating Tool: Ideas carry out concepts. This tool systematically expands the range and number of concepts in order to end up with a very broad range of ideas to consider.
 Focus tools that are designed to broaden where to search for new ideas
 Harvest tools that are designed to ensure more value is received from idea generating output
 Treatment tools that are designed to consider real-world constraints, resources, and support

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral_thinking
Convergent thinking
Convergent thinking is a term coined by Joy Paul Guilford as the opposite of divergent thinking. It generally means the ability to give the correct answer to standard questions that do not require significant creativity, for instance in most tasks in school and on standardized multiple-choice tests for intelligence.

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_thinking

Divergent thinking
Divergent thinking is a thought process or method used to generate creative ideas by exploring many possible solutions. It is often used in conjunction with convergent thinking, which follows a particular set of logical steps to arrive at one "correct" solution. Divergent thinking typically occurs in a spontaneous, free-flowing manner, such that many ideas are generated in a random, unorganized fashion. Many possible solutions are explored in a short amount of time, and unexpected connections are drawn. Following divergent thinking, ideas and information are organized and structured using convergent thinking.
Psychologists have found that a high IQ alone does not guarantee creativity. Instead, personality traits that promote divergent thinking are more important. Divergent thinking is found among people with personalities which have traits such as nonconformity, curiosity, willingness to take risks, and persistence. Additionally, researchers at Vanderbilt University found that musicians are more adept at utilizing both hemispheres and more likely to use divergent thinking in their thought processes.
Activities which promote divergent thinking include creating lists of questions, setting aside time for thinking and meditation, brainstorming, subject mapping / "bubble mapping", keeping a journal, creating artwork, and free writing. In free writing, a person will focus on one particular topic and write non-stop about it for a short period of time, in a stream of consciousness fashion.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergent_thinking
Inductive Thinking
From limited observation people form a theory to explain facts - eg: someone that knows nothing about Cairns is shown a film of people walking along the Esplanade; they may conclude that there is a high percentage of Japanese people resident in the city being viewed. Inductive arguments have premises that purport to support the conclusion, however, there is no guarantee of the accuracy of the conclusion.

Source: http://www.jcu.edu.au/old_office/tld/learningskills/thinking/inductive.html

Deductive Thinking
Deductive thinking, sometimes called deductive logic, is a thinking which constructs or evaluates deductive arguments. In logic, an argument is said to be deductive when the truth of the conclusion is purported to follow necessarily or be a logical consequence of the truth of the premises and (consequently) its corresponding conditional is a necessary truth. Deductive arguments are said to be valid or invalid, never true or false. A deductive argument is valid if and only if the truth of the conclusion actually does follow necessarily (or is indeed a logical consequence of) the premises and (consequently) its corresponding conditional is a necessary truth. If the conclusion is false, then at least one of the premises must be false. If a deductive argument is not valid then it is invalid. A valid deductive argument with true premises is said to be sound; a deductive argument which is invalid or has one or more false premises or both is said to be not sound (unsound).

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deductive_thinking

Hypothetical Thinking
Hypothetical thought involves the imagination of possibilities and the exploration of their consequences by a process of mental simulation. Using a recently developed theoretical framework called Hypothetical Thinking Theory, Jonathan St. B. T. Evans provides an integrated theoretical account of a wide range of psychological studies on hypothesis testing, reasoning, judgement and decision making.
Hypothetical thinking theory is built on three key principles, implemented in a revised and updated version of Evans' well-known heuristic–analytic theory of reasoning. The central claim of this book is that this theory can provide an integrated account of some apparently very diverse phenomena including confirmation bias in hypothesis testing, acceptance of fallacies in deductive reasoning, belief biases in reasoning and judgement, biases of statistical judgement and a number of characteristic findings in the study of decision making. The author also provides broad ranging discussion of cognitive biases, human rationality and dual-process theories of higher cognition.
Hypothetical Thinking draws on and develops arguments first proposed in Evans’ earlier work from this series, Bias in Human Reasoning. In the new theory, however, cognitive biases are attributed equally to analytic and heuristic processing and a much wider range of phenomena are reviewed and discussed. It will therefore be of great interest to researchers and post-graduates in psychology and the cognitive sciences, as well as to undergraduate students looking for a comprehensive review of current work on reasoning and decision-making.

Source:http://www.cognitivepsychologyarena.com/hypothetical-thinking- 9781841696607
Positive Thinking
Positive thinking is a discipline that trains the human mind to change a perceived reality by repeatedly making positive mental statements. A person practices positive thinking when they derive a positive sense of well being, optimism, belonging, meaning and/or purpose from being part of and contributing back to something larger and more permanent than themselves. Positive thinking is a process of choosing positive emotions from stimuli in the environment and applying them to perceptions and beliefs. The objective is to create an outlook that translates into a new or better chosen reality.

Positive Mental Attitudes

A positive mental attitude is the belief that one can increase achievement through optimistic thought processes. A positive attitude comes from observational learning in the environment and is partially achieved when a vision of good natured change in the mind is applied toward people, circumstances, events, or behaviors (Wikipedia). Since it is difficult to quantify (measure) the effects of a positive mental attitude, it can be considered a philosophy and a way to approach life.

Use of Affirmative Thinking to Facilitate a Positive Mental Attitude

The technique of writing and repeating affirmations has been said to institute a positive mental attitude resulting in measurable change. An affirmation is a positive, present day statement that assumes what one declares is real and present. The more an affirmation is practiced, the mind has a greater the level of acceptance of that thought. Positive thinking experts, such as Louise Hay, Michael Beckwith, James Arthur Ray, Catherine Ponder, Norman Vincent Peale, Napoleon Hill, and John Randolph Price advocated the use of affirmations to both reprogram the brain by repetition and maintaining present moment centeredness. The desired result is to manifest new and positive circumstances.

Since an affirmation declares one’s state of mind and expectation, it acknowledges to the mind and body a present-day reality. An example of an affirmation is the following: “I am filled with wonder and I now manifestprosperity and abundance in every aspect of my life. I use the creative genius of the universe in all I do. I am successful, healthy, and live life well. This day I have the power to change myself.”

Affirmations are a spiritual idea, and non-quantitative. They are based upon “as within, so without, as above so below” which is an idea, or universal presented in many religious works, including the Bible. If thought attracts, or resonates, with like energies, than any individual practicing positive thinking can eventually see results externally in the form of a better job, more loving relationships, or even satisfying experiences.

Source:http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Definition_Positive_Thinking.html
Negative Thinking
Intrusive thoughts are unwelcome, involuntary thoughts, images or unpleasant ideas that may become obsessions, are upsetting or distressing, and can be difficult to be free of and manage. Intrusive thoughts, urges, and images are of inappropriate things at inappropriate times, usually falling into three categories: inappropriate aggressive thoughts, inappropriate sexual thoughts, or blasphemous religious thoughts. Most people experience these thoughts; when they are associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) or depression, they may become paralyzing, anxiety-provoking, and persistent.

Description

Many people experience the type of bad or unwanted thinking that people with more troubling intrusive thinking have, but most people are able to dismiss these thinking. For most people, bad thinking are a "fleeting annoyance". London psychologist Stanley Rachman presented a questionnaire to healthy college students and found that virtually all said they had bad thinking from time to time, including thinking of sexual violence, sexual punishment, "unnatural" sex acts, painful sexual practices, blasphemous or obscene images, thinking of harming elderly people or someone close to them, violence against animals or towards children, and impulsive or abusive outbursts or utterances. Such bad thoughts are universal among humans, and have "almost certainly always been a part of the human condition".

When intrusive thinking co-occur with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), patients are less able to ignore the unpleasant thinking and may pay undue attention to them, causing the thinking to become more frequent and distressing. The thinking may become obsessions which are paralyzing, severe, and constantly present, and can range from thinking of violence or sex to blasphemy. Distinguishing them from normal intrusive thinking experienced by many people, the intrusive thinking associated with OCD may be anxiety provoking, irrepressible and persistent.

How people react to bad thinking may determine whether these thinking will become severe, turn into obsessions, or require treatment. Intrusive thinking can occur with or without compulsions; carrying out the compulsion reduces the person's anxiety, but makes the urge to perform the compulsion stronger each time it reoccurs, reinforcing the intrusive thinking. According to Lee Baer (an OCD specialist at the Massachusetts General Hospital's OCD clinic), suppressing the thinking only makes them stronger, and recognizing that bad thinking don't signify that one is truly evil is one of the steps to overcoming them. There is evidence of the benefit of acceptance as an alternative to suppression of intrusive thinking. A study showed that those instructed to suppress intrusive thinking experienced more distress after suppression, while patients instructed to accept the bad thinking experienced decreased discomfort. These results may be related to underlying cognitive processes involved in OCD. But, accepting the thinking can be more difficult for persons with OCD. In the 19th century, OCD was known as "the doubting sickness"; the "pathological doubt" that accompanies OCD can make it harder for a person with OCD to distinguish "normal" intrusive thinking as experienced by most people, causing them to "suffer in silence, feeling too embarrassed or worried that they will be thinking crazy".

The possibility that most patients suffering from intrusive thinking will ever act on those thinking is low; patients who are experiencing intense guilt, anxiety, shame, and upset over bad thinking are different from those who actually act on bad thinking. The history of violent crime is dominated by those who feel no guilt or remorse; the very fact that someone is tormented by intrusive thinking, and has never acted on them before, is an excellent predictor that they won't act upon the thinking. Patients who aren't troubled or shamed by their thinking, don't find them distasteful, or who have actually taken action, might need to have more serious conditions, psychosis or potentially criminal behaviors ruled out. According to Baer, a patient should be concerned that intrusive thinking are dangerous if the person doesn't feel upset by the thinking, rather finds them pleasurable; has ever acted on violent or sexual thinking or urges; hears voices or sees things that others don't see; or feels uncontrollable irresistible anger.

Depression

People who are clinically depressed may experience bad thinking more intensely, and view them as evidence that they are worthless or sinful people. The suicidal thinking that are common in depression must be distinguished from intrusive thinking, because suicidal thinking —unlike harmless sexual, aggressive, or religious thinking —can be dangerous.

Source: http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Articles_Negative_Thoughts.html

Critical thinking and positive thinking are necessary for me to be a person successful in daily activities. Lateral thinking and divergent thinking are required to become a successful engineer in the future.
WongKiaMing KEW080025

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wong Kia Ming KEW080025 complete edition

Post  lauchunwokew080011 on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 12:50 am

sometime devolve attention is good when face on problems to minimize the stress, but sometime it will lead u elude from the problems. so be careful...... Cool
lauchunwokew080011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 1:06 am

lauchunwokew080011 wrote:sometime devolve attention is good when face on problems to minimize the stress, but sometime it will lead u elude from the problems. so be careful...... Cool

Yaya. Because no matter how you devolve attention you must face the problems also.
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tohguoshenkew080021 on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 9:50 am

is good that you know where to improve yourself!

tohguoshenkew080021

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tohkharpengkew080022 on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 10:06 am

never see you become group leader yet.hope that day will come soon.XD

tohkharpengkew080022

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WongKiaMing KEW080025 on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 10:12 am

Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 wrote:
lauchunwokew080011 wrote:sometime devolve attention is good when face on problems to minimize the stress, but sometime it will lead u elude from the problems. so be careful...... Cool

Yaya. Because no matter how you devolve attention you must face the problems also.

Not devolving, i just want a clearer mind. Sad

tohguoshenkew080021 wrote:is good that you know where to improve yourself!

Thanks!

tohkharpengkew080022 wrote:never see you become group leader yet.hope that day will come soon.XD

I will slowly show you all my true power....hehehe

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
WongKiaMing KEW080025

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 7:30 pm

lol! Actually you're a very lively person, just don't keep on try to avoid problems (or things), in the end you'll still have to face them! Its either you solve the problem or the problem solve you!

p/s: Don't run away every time when we want to play versus in dota! Actually it is the fastest way to learn lol!

extra p/s: When you want to buy shoe?? hahahahaha!
Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005
Admin

View user profile http://comp-engin0809.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  WongKiaMing KEW080025 on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 9:48 pm

Why do you all say I avoid problems?
huhuhuhu Sad
WongKiaMing KEW080025

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 11:10 pm

WongKiaMing KEW080025 wrote:Why do you all say I avoid problems?
huhuhuhu Sad
lol! wasn't that what you did most of the time? maybe you didn't realize it yet
Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005
Admin

View user profile http://comp-engin0809.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LEE JIAN HSIEN KEW080012 on Thu 14 Jan 2010, 2:54 pm

if you have any problem, kindly contact him to solve for you. he might just use 1 minute to solve a question that you might have thought futilely for days! Shocked

i believe you are a good leader. keep it up! Cool

LEE JIAN HSIEN KEW080012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WongKiaMing KEW080025 on Sat 16 Jan 2010, 7:46 pm

LEE JIAN HSIEN KEW080012 wrote:if you have any problem, kindly contact him to solve for you. he might just use 1 minute to solve a question that you might have thought futilely for days! Shocked

i believe you are a good leader. keep it up! Cool
Thanks! I know you are always the best ppl in this class! TT_TT
WongKiaMing KEW080025

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leong Jia Wei KEW080013 on Sat 16 Jan 2010, 8:12 pm

I will slowly show you all my true power....hehehe

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Hmm.. How about now?!
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leong Jia Wei KEW080013 on Sat 16 Jan 2010, 8:23 pm

LEE JIAN HSIEN KEW080012 wrote:if you have any problem, kindly contact him to solve for you. he might just use 1 minute to solve a question that you might have thought futilely for days! Shocked Cool

Yeah! He got some serious brain power hidden underneath his frame! pirat
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Visha KEW080024 on Sun 17 Jan 2010, 2:06 pm

WongKiaMing KEW080025 wrote:WRITE ABOUT YOURSELF CRITICALLY

I believe that if I am good towards other people, they will be good towards you.

As the saying : What goes around, comes around.

You know something, you just look alike Hiro Nakamura(a characther in the serial Heroes). Who knows you have any outstanding ability in you too, it doesnt have to be extraordinary. Believe in yourself!

Visha KEW080024

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NURAINRAZI KEW080016 on Mon 18 Jan 2010, 6:14 pm

WongKiaMing KEW080025 wrote:WRITE ABOUT YOURSELF CRITICALLY
I always try to restrain myself when I am having an argument with my friend. Also, I will always be friendly to my friends and family. I believe that if I am good towards other people, they will be good towards you.

Strongly agree with the last statement.Because what you give is what you get back.restraining ourselves when it comes to argument is not easy.good attitude you got there..Also you have the exact character and face like Hiro Nakamura(the japanese man in heroes series).He is a very good-hearted man.hehe

NURAINRAZI KEW080016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down