Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005

Go down

Post  Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 on Mon 18 Jan 2010, 11:16 pm

2)a) Find a newspaper cutting about anything and comment that critically about the reporter’s report.

Online youth need critical thinking skills
July 21, 2009 2:19 PM PDT by Larry Magid

I both envy and worry about young people who are growing up in the age of the Internet.

I envy them for their life-long access to a media that’s diversified enough to bring them news, information and opinion from an enormous number of sources.

There’s something to be said for having access to thousands of media outlets. Unlike those of us who grew up in the 50s, 60s and 70s, young people who smartly use the Internet to consume news today don’t have to worry about everything being filtered by a small, elite and typically white male cadre of journalists working for one of only three broadcast networks or one or two local newspapers. And it’s no longer a one-way street. Today’s news consumers can also be producers thanks to blogs, social networking sites, YouTube, podcasting and microblogs like Twitter.

But, as I look back at the career of Walter Cronkite’s who died last Friday, I also worry whether young people are finding it harder to come by trusted sources for news and information. The Internet’s strength as a news resource is also its weakness. We never will or should return to the days of only a handful of media outlets, but today’s diversified media landscape and especially the Internet, do bring new challenges to consumers of news.

One of the things I loved about the CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite was that it was watched by a high enough percentage of the population that it created a shared experience. When we heard Walter tell us “that’s the way it is,” we had something that we could all talk about the next day. We all knew it was true even if we didn’t all agree on how we should interpret the implications of what Cronkite told us happened.

Every day after returning from work, my father would open up his copy of the Los Angeles Daily Mirror (the long defunct afternoon paper published by the same company as the Los Angeles Times). He would then turn on the black and white TV to watch Cronkite on CBS or perhaps Huntley-Brinkley on NBC but, more often than not it was Cronkite who shared our living room for that half hour. As a young boy I didn’t necessarily pay close attention to the news but I did absorb portions of it. When big stories broke, my dad would summon me to watch the news with him or summarize over dinner what he read in the Mirror.

Not always, but sometimes at school the next day, kids would talk about some of those stories along with the entertainment shows most of us watched such as the Ed Sullivan Show or Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color.

Looking back, it seemed as if all of America – or at least the slice of it I knew – had a shared experience. If nothing else, our family shared its media experience, probably because we had only one TV set, one newspaper subscription and no Internet. The closest thing I had to my own personal media was my bedroom table radio and, eventually, a transistor radio that I got to control all by myself.

We also had dinner together every night in a room with no TV, a household telephone that almost never rang during dinner hour and no mobile devices that let us exchange text messages with people outside the room. The only people we could hear from or talk to were each other. Having dinner together was one tradition my wife and I shared with our children.

I’m not longing to return to the repressed, racist, sexist and homophobic days of the 50s and 60s and I don’t think we’ll ever — or should ever – have another “most trusted man in America” like Walter Cronkite, but I do see some value in looking at what we might be missing as we move forward, not to repeat the past but to ensure a better future.

Without an almost universally respected news anchor to tell us “the way it is,” we have to figure it out for ourselves. It’s not that we don’t have resources – we have more than ever and that’s a good thing. But it does put more pressure on us to think critically about what we see, hear, read and say. Walter Cronkite demonstrated in 1968 when he took the almost unprecedented step as a newsman of critically evaluating what the government was telling us about the Vietnam war to come to and share his own conclusion that the war needed to end.

Today’s media environment provides an opportunity – and responsibility – for parents and schools to teach critical thinking. Not only must young people learn to “consider the source” of what they take in but also think critically about what they post in a world where just about every young person is now potentially an author, photographer and videographer. Kids – who may never even know who Walter Cronkite was – need to have a miniature version of him inside their head by asking questions such as “Is this true?” and “How do I know it’s true?.” And when they’re about to post they need to think carefully before they broadcast their own versions of “the way it is.”

My comments:
There are several steps that we must bear in mind whenever we want to analyze a newspaper article whereby we must keep ask ourselves questions so that we can evaluate the article with a more critical approach.

The writer wrote this article to express his worries that although young people have the access to thousands of media outlets that are diversified enough; it is harder to come by trusted sources for news and information.

The main idea of the writer is parents and schools should teach critical thinking so that young people can learn to “consider the source” of what they take in but also think critically about what they post in a world where just about every young person is now potentially an author, photographer and videographer.

In my opinion, the writer’s reasoning is well-supported, although they are not some statistical data but each statement that he made is well-explained with facts. Most of the opinion that the writer stated are viewed from the point of view of an journalist, but they are all critically well-explained. For example, Internet does provide a very large platform for young peoples to access to almost unlimited sources of information, news, articles as news consumers can also be producers thanks to blogs, social networking sites, YouTube, podcasting and microblogs like Twitter as stated by the writer which is very much true as there are actually a lot more platform that news consumers can choose to view their opinions in the Internet. Information and opinions are exchanged throughout the Internet with and incredible speed, which brings advantages to smart news consumer whereby they do not have to worry about everything being filtered by a small, elite and typically white male cadre of journalists working for one of only three broadcast networks or one or two local newspapers, as stated by the writer.

However just as the Internet bring Pros; it does bring Cons to the news consumer on the other hand. The Internet has an almost boundless information, not all of them are trust-worthy as any single person in this world can voice their opinion in the Internet, which some of them might approach the problem or question with a biased point of view or single-sided bombardment. This, which in the end will be up to the news consumer to wisely choose their source of information and evaluate every single information or opinion carefully and critically before accepting the information or opinion “as they were told”. This is in conjunction with the practice of Critical Thinking which we may on the other hand, state that Internet news consumer need to be a critical thinker in order of them to be able to evaluate all information or opinions received before accepting or rejecting them. This is also in agreement with the topic of the writer’s article.

Summary, I think the article is well-written whereby statements are well-supported. The writer’s point of view is not biased whereby we can say that the writer is also a critical thinker himself. I truly agree that young people should learn to practice critical thinking to benefits most from the Internet by evaluating all information and opinions before simply accepting them.

Reference:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-19518_3-10292211-238.html
http://www.criticalthinking.org/resources/HE/a-sample-assignment-format.cfm
http://www.faminegenocide.com/kuryliw/newspaper_analysis.htm

2)b) Get a live speech from youtube about anybody, comment their statement.

The live speech video that I want to comment is Steve Jobs Stanford Commencement Speech 2005 which can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA
This is a commencement address by Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple Computer and of Pixar Animation Studios to Standford University graduating class, delivered on June 12, 2005.

Steve Jobs shared three stories from his life in his speech. The first story is about connecting the dots, second story is about love and loss, and his third story is about death.

In his first story, Jobs admitted that his biological mother was a young, unwed college graduate student and decided to put him up for adoption, which I think is a very brave action. Not all people are brave enough to admit their past after they had succeeded in their life; some of them might even try to change their past as they feel ashamed by it, which I totally disagree. Our past is what made us what we are now and by looking at the past, we can learn from our mistakes and lessons. I have been always disagreeing with the idea of dropping out from college and I still hold on to this ideology. However for Jobs’s case, he has no choice but to drop out from college because he does not want to waste his parent’s money as he had no idea what he wanted to do with his life that time. But his decision of taking classes that he had interest in so much is the best choice that he made in his life. I do believe that it is very important that people should do what they really loved and interested in as they would then have the passion to drive themselves. Passion is one of the most important key to success in our life. Jobs also quoted one of his statement “you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards”. To me, this sentence is very true but it is still incomplete. A person cannot connect the dots in their life by looking backwards alone, he will have to move forwards, make progress and then only he can connect his dots in his life.

In his second story, Jobs talked about him being fired from his company that he started himself. This story tells us not to give up whenever you face with problems, but to keep going on and learn everything again as a fresh beginner. This is very true especially the last phrase, we will not able to learn more if we keep hold on to our past experience or knowledge, as we cannot pour water into a glass full with water anymore. We must empty the glass first before we can accept new things or knowledge. A person that is full with him will never able to learn more and he would stand still without any progress. “Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love.” said Jobs. Again I firmly agree with Jobs that we should never back down when we face with problems. And to do something that you loved most is the way that keeps you full with passion and move on. Therefore it is very important to find what you love to do most in your life, “If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.”

Third story is about death. “Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life.” This is much very true that everyone would die one day, no one has ever escaped it. Realizing this could be a very powerful tool that can be used to motivate us every day so that we can keep on moving. Moreover, it could help us to make big choices in our life more carefully and wisely, as what Jobs said. This can be related to critical thinking whereby we as a thinker, should always evaluate anything that we receive critically and come out with a facts-supported decision. And in his third story, Jobs had stated a statement that I personally loved and agreed the most “Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking.” This statement is highly in conjunction with the concept of Critical Thinking, whereby we should not simply accept incoming information, as most of the time it would just instruct us “what to do”. Instead, we should evaluate the information itself critically, whether to or not to accept it. As what Jobs had said, don’t be trapped by dogma, people often are living under other people’s thinking, for example, students are often taught by teachers what is correct and what is wrong, children are often taught by parents what they should do and what they shouldn’t. I am not saying that we should be rebellious, rather we should always be doubtful and think and access information more comprehensively and to be independence. In his last speech, Jobs wished all the graduates to “Stay hungry. Stay foolish” This phrase does not simply ask us to be hungry and foolish, it means to stay hungry for new knowledge and always keep our cup empty so that we can accept new knowledge.

In summary, Steve Jobs’s speech is very motivating and inspiring. Although there were one statement that I personally think it is incomplete, all of his other statements are very inspiring. Some of them are even highly in conjunction with Critical Thinking’s principle. Although Steve Jobs is not promoting critical thinking in his speech, we can see that he practiced the principle of critical thinking and have been indirectly promoting critical thinking. I would highly recommend my friends to watch this live speech.
Admin

View user profile http://comp-engin0809.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005

Post  Leong Jia Wei KEW080013 on Thu 21 Jan 2010, 4:21 pm

“you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards”. To me, this sentence is very true but it is still incomplete. A person cannot connect the dots in their life by looking backwards alone, he will have to move forwards, make progress and then only he can connect his dots in his life.

In my humble opinion, I don't think he say anything about connecting the dots in a person's entire life. He just merely says that we cannot predict the future but only the past. Very Happy
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 on Fri 22 Jan 2010, 2:46 pm

Leong Jia Wei KEW080013 wrote:
“you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards”. To me, this sentence is very true but it is still incomplete. A person cannot connect the dots in their life by looking backwards alone, he will have to move forwards, make progress and then only he can connect his dots in his life.

In my humble opinion, I don't think he say anything about connecting the dots in a person's entire life. He just merely says that we cannot predict the future but only the past. Very Happy
Yes, what Steve Jobs said is we have to have guts, trust, and faith that the dots will be connected somehow in the future. Personally i think that this is an inspiring speech and thus if he added an extra sentence that motivate people to move forward that would be great. Just my humble opinion Cool
Admin

View user profile http://comp-engin0809.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 on Sun 24 Jan 2010, 2:21 am

Steve Jobs is really a great person...As well as Bill Gates... I love you
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content