Computer Engineering 08/09
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005

+6
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013
Hazwan Afiq KEW080010
WongKiaMing KEW080025
tohguoshenkew080021
tohkharpengkew080022
10 posters

Go down

Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Empty Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005

Post  Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 1:15 am

1a) Write about yourself critically, including what you want to become.

Before I start to write about myself, let us look and analyze the topic deeply. The phrase “critically” states that we’re going to write a Critical Essay. After some extensive amount of time used searching online on how to write a critical essay, I end up to a website that teaches how to write a critical essay. Based on the teaching, I should first analyze the topic, provide a brief statement of my main idea, outline the important facts that I intend to discuss and finally wrap it up by providing a summary. So as I did, I analyzed the topic and came out with a main idea. In this essay I will write about what kind of person I am in different stages of my life until now.

My name is Chan Xing Khuan. I was born on the 21th of April, 1988 in Kuantan, Pahang. I am the eldest and only son in my family with three younger sisters. As the eldest son in my family, certainly my parents will have high hopes for me. This is the most important factor that I am a perfectionist. I tend to set a high self-demand for myself when I do things. However it is only applicable to things that I feel interested in as I am a lazy person. This may be due to the fact that not much things can trigger my interest.

I studied in SRJK©️ Chung Ching for my primary education for six years. At this time period, I do not have many friends and at that age, I just can’t find a reason for it. After that I studied at SMK Tanah Putih for my secondary education. This is when I realize that it was due to my bad temper and so, I joined a lot of club and society, hoping to know more people and friends while learning how to control my temper. This is when I found my hobby and interest which I carry until now. I found that I love sports very much, especially badminton, basketball and football to name a few. I also found that I have a deep interest and passion in computer whether it is on the hardware side or the software side. I can spend hours reading books on computer without getting bored. This is the main factor that why I chose to study Computer Engineering as my university course.

Getting attached to computer is also the reason I get attached to computer games. I liked to play a wide variety of computer games but I can’t help myself but falling in love with strategy based games that require one to think and plan properly with limited resources to win. I find that it is very intriguing every time I play such games as it is very challenging in the sense that I must be able to notice every details, synthesize and analyze them and make a proper decision at the correct timing. For example, when to attack, who should do the attack, what to attack, where to do the attack, which to attack first and most importantly, how to attack. Frankly speaking, my skill in analyzing and synthesizing comes from playing these games. Moreover, I like to practice such skills on matters other than games and it proves to be very beneficial. The five years spent in Tanah Putih is wonderful and I can feel that I had become a different person, and this is why I always tell my friend that: A person can really change if he really wants to, nothing is impossible.

After that I studied in SMK Tengku Panglima Perang Tengku Muhammad for my high school education for two years. I am still an active student who joined quite a few club and society. This is when I started to love music and singing as I met a friend who is talented in music, I even joined a singing competition with my friend held in school and the experience gained is wonderful. Now, music still plays an important role in my life as a way to relax myself when I got tensed from study. Basically this is the time period where I found my way of relaxing.

Currently I am studying computer engineering in University of Malaya. After finishing my study in University of Malaya I would like to go to working field and gain some experiences. I want to become a successful computer engineer in the as the main job of an engineer is to analyze problem and solve it, which is what I like to do the most.

Reference:
http://www.essaytown.com/writing/write-critical-essay

1b) Find the definition of thinking, types of thinking by using Google. See how are these thinking fit yourself now and in the future

Definition of thinking:
Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Table10

References:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/thinking
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thinking
http://www.yourdictionary.com/thinking
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/593468/thought
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking

Types of thinking:

1. From ves.wpsb.org
  1. Critical thinking - This is convergent thinking. It assesses the worth and validity of something existent. It involves precise, persistent, objective analysis. When teachers try to get several learners to think convergently, they try to help them develop common understanding.
  2. Creative thinking - This is divergent thinking. It generates something new or different. It involves having a different idea that works as well or better than previous ideas.
  3. Convergent thinking - This type of thinking is cognitive processing of information around a common point, an attempt to bring thoughts from different directions into a union or common conclusion.
  4. Divergent thinking - This type of thinking starts from a common point and moves outward into a variety of perspectives. When fosering divergent thinking, teachers use the content as a vehicle to prompt diverse or unique thinking among students rather than a common view.
  5. Inductive thinking - This is the process of reasoning from parts to the whole, from examples to generalizations.
  6. Deductive thinking - This type of reasoning moves from the whole to its parts, from generalizations to underlying concepts to examples.

2. From annarosejewelry.com
  1. Visual thinking - Thinking in Pictures
  2. Music and Math thinking
  3. Verbal logic thinking

3. From fnopress.com
Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Types10

References:
http://www.ves.wpsb.org/focus/typesofthinking.html
http://www.annarosejewelry.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=9&chapter=0
http://fnopress.com/pedagogy/modules/mod1.htm

From most of the definition found searching online, it shows that thinking can be defined as an ability of a person to judge, reflect or to synthesis any external factors and come out with a conclusion, decision or solution. Moreover, there are plenty types of thinking as we can see from above. This is due to how it is categorized by peoples with difference point of view or with different approaches. However, after reading through all the websites, it can be seen that all types of thinking can be seen as a skill, which can be improved if we practice it often. For example, creative thinking is a skill to generate new or different ideas that are better than the old one, which by practice, one will able to generate new ideas more frequently and easily.

For an engineer, there are a lot of thinking skills that play an important role in determining an engineer’s quality. However, there are a few skills that are crucial for an engineer such as the skill to analyze synthesis, conceptualize, and/or evaluate information. Therefore it is generally important that an engineer practice Critical Thinking, as the definition from lonestar.texas.net states that: Critical thinking is the intellectually disciplined process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and/or evaluating information gathered from, or generated by, observation, experience, reflection, reasoning, or communication, as a guide to belief and action.

As an undergraduate engineer, Critical Thinking does best fit me as it is important for me to practice how to analyze information critically and being able to formulate a correct solution for it, as we know that a job of an engineer is to solve problems, the ability to solve a problem critically would play an important role in determining the quality of an engineer. Creative Thinking, on the other hand is also an important skill that an engineer must have. Creative Thinking can enhance the ability of an engineer to formulate a new yet better solution. Therefore, in nut shell, I should start practice Critical Thinking , Creative Thinking as well as some others to start improve my problem solving skill not only now, but also in the future as learning is part of life itself that should never ends.

Reference:
http://lonestar.texas.net/~mseifert/crit2.html
Admin

https://comp-engin0809.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Empty Re: Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005

Post  tohkharpengkew080022 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 9:33 am

hope u can success in your future life.

tohkharpengkew080022

Back to top Go down

Post  tohguoshenkew080021 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 10:23 am

Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 wrote:
........I find that it is very intriguing every time I play such games as it is very challenging in the sense that I must be able to notice every details, synthesize and analyze them and make a proper decision at the correct timing. For example, when to attack, who should do the attack, what to attack, where to do the attack, which to attack first and most importantly, how to attack.....
Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Icon_eek ...suddenly feeling unsafe.....

after reading so many posts... i feel most of us love computer games isnt ? Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Icon_redface

tohguoshenkew080021

Back to top Go down

Post  tohkharpengkew080022 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 10:25 am

maybe,but i do think we like electronic stuff.it just like a magnet to attract all of us gather at here.lolx.

tohkharpengkew080022

Back to top Go down

Post  WongKiaMing KEW080025 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 10:37 am

Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 wrote:........I find that it is very intriguing every time I play such games as it is very challenging in the sense that I must be able to notice every details, synthesize and analyze them and make a proper decision at the correct timing. For example, when to attack, who should do theattack, what to attack, where to do the attack, which toattack first and most importantly, how to attack.....

Oh my holy God! So aggressive! Don't play DotA too much!

By the way, I love PC games too, and that's why I always waste my time in university now. Sad
WongKiaMing KEW080025
WongKiaMing KEW080025

Back to top Go down

Post  Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 7:20 pm

tohguoshenkew080021 wrote:
........I find that it is very intriguing every time I play such games as it is very challenging in the sense that I must be able to notice every details, synthesize and analyze them and make a proper decision at the correct timing. For example, when to attack, who should do the attack, what to attack, where to do the attack, which to attack first and most importantly, how to attack.....
Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Icon_eek ...suddenly feeling unsafe.....

after reading so many posts... i feel most of us love computer games isnt ? Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Icon_redface

Lol.. you don't have to Emphasize the word "ATTACK" every time it shows up xD

maybe,but i do think we like electronic stuff.it just like a magnet to attract all of us gather at here.lolx.
Yes we do Very Happy

WongKiaMing KEW080025 wrote:
Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 wrote:........I find that it is very intriguing every time I play such games as it is very challenging in the sense that I must be able to notice every details, synthesize and analyze them and make a proper decision at the correct timing. For example, when to attack, who should do theattack, what to attack, where to do the attack, which toattack first and most importantly, how to attack.....

Oh my holy God! So aggressive! Don't play DotA too much!

By the way, I love PC games too, and that's why I always waste my time in university now. Sad
Lol.. yes most of us here love PC games, and since we love PC games, why don't we use it as our advantages? We can play it to release tension, we can specifically play certain game such as strategy game to enhance our ability to analyze, as long as we're not addicted Very Happy I never think that playing game is a bad thing, everything has more than two sides and we should look to the positive side~
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hazwan Afiq KEW080010 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 11:32 pm

do keep playing games,so yr skills will develop more and be a great leader in the future

p/s...u are the best class rep i ever had..seriously beb
Hazwan Afiq KEW080010
Hazwan Afiq KEW080010

Back to top Go down

Post  Leong Jia Wei KEW080013 Wed 13 Jan 2010, 12:43 am

Yeah, people do change. The only thing I hope is that I have changed for good XD!
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013

Back to top Go down

Post  NURAINRAZI KEW080016 Wed 13 Jan 2010, 2:24 am

a great mind of strategic game!..why dont you try to invent one in future?..im sure its going to be great.looking forward for it.hhaha~

NURAINRAZI KEW080016

Back to top Go down

Post  LEE JIAN HSIEN KEW080012 Wed 13 Jan 2010, 3:33 am

maybe i should try playing dota so that we can take turn to attack! cheers

LEE JIAN HSIEN KEW080012

Back to top Go down

Post  Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Wed 13 Jan 2010, 8:57 pm

LEE JIAN HSIEN KEW080012 wrote:

maybe i should try playing dota so that we can take turn to attack! cheers
Come come~ its time to learn Cool
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chia Li - Yan KEW080007 Thu 14 Jan 2010, 1:00 am

Lol.. yes most of us here love PC games, and since we love PC games, why don't we use it as our advantages? We can play it to release tension, we can specifically play certain game such as strategy game to enhance our ability to analyze, as long as we're not addicted Very Happy I never think that playing game is a bad thing, everything has more than two sides and we should look to the positive side~

release tension by killing zombies...!! Twisted Evil
Anyway, it depends on what kind of games we played that determines whether its good for us or not. Games such as...errr...scrabble, addicted to it is not a bad thing. Games like L4d, besides release tension and fun, i dont think there's anything positive in it.
Chia Li - Yan KEW080007
Chia Li - Yan KEW080007

Back to top Go down

Post  Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Thu 14 Jan 2010, 12:30 pm

Chia Li - Yan KEW080007 wrote:

Anyway, it depends on what kind of games we played that determines whether its good for us or not. Games such as...errr...scrabble, addicted to it is not a bad thing. Games like L4d, besides release tension and fun, i dont think there's anything positive in it.
Yeap, totally agree. It depend on the genre of the game itself~ so y dun you come and learn some strategy game? like dota? lol!
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Visha KEW080024 Sun 17 Jan 2010, 12:40 pm

Hey Chan, you forget to mention about your leadership qualities. I guess all the experience that you gained at your secondary school, makes you such a good class representative. You are not afraid to carry any responsiblities and perform it well. Keep it up your good job. We appreaciate it.

Visha KEW080024

Back to top Go down

Post  Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Sun 17 Jan 2010, 10:28 pm

Visha KEW080024 wrote:Hey Chan, you forget to mention about your leadership qualities. I guess all the experience that you gained at your secondary school, makes you such a good class representative. You are not afraid to carry any responsiblities and perform it well. Keep it up your good job. We appreaciate it.
Thank you so much Visha~ Yes i had participated a lot of clubs and societies in secondary school which i also carried a post, I had been president for Taekwon-Do MGTF club which i think i enjoyed the most in my secondary school lifetime Very Happy So try to join some activity in University life, it will greatly open up your eye sight and you will learn more than just study in University. University is the place for you to join activity and get to know more people as University itself can be considered as a small community that can prepare yourself to a bigger challenge world outside.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chia Li - Yan KEW080007 Mon 18 Jan 2010, 1:43 pm

Yeap, totally agree. It depend on the genre of the game itself~ so y dun you come and learn some strategy game? like dota? lol!

it's okay..dota is very addictive. Got a lof stuff to learn and if i start playing means my whole semester will gone. =.=
I did played once and i just simply walk around and attack. haha
Chia Li - Yan KEW080007
Chia Li - Yan KEW080007

Back to top Go down

Post  Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Mon 18 Jan 2010, 11:19 pm

it's okay..dota is very addictive. Got a lof stuff to learn and if i start playing means my whole semester will gone. =.=
I did played once and i just simply walk around and attack. haha

lol! Yeah there are a lot elements inside dota and that is why it is so addictive and fun to play, learn and explore Very Happy But if you find it is too addictive that you might not able to control yourself, then better stay away~ haha.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down