Computer Engineering 08/09
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

+7
Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005
Hazwan Afiq KEW080010
tohguoshenkew080021
tohkharpengkew080022
Ooi Tiang Chien KEW080018
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
11 posters

Go down

Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Empty Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 1:49 am

Assignment 1

1. Write about yourself critically including where are you from and what is your ambition.

My name is Cheah Meng Kit. I am 21 years old. I stay in Ipoh, Perak. I am a tall and simple guy who comes from an ordinary family which means not a rich family. I have an elder brother and a younger brother. My father is a subcontractor. My mother is a housewife. My elder brother is a pharmacist. My younger brother has just finished Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM) and he is now waiting for his result to enter university. I have a girlfriend too. She is studying in Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) and taking chemical engineering. She is a nice and cute girl. We have been together for more than three years. We have gone through a lot of things together. In these three years, we share all the happiness and sadness with each other and support each other. I feel glad and lucky to have such a nice girlfriend. I hope she is the first and the last girlfriend in my life. If she is willing, I hope she can become my future wife and keep on supporting me.

Previously, my primary and secondary school were SRJK Sam Tet, Ipoh and SMJK Sam Tet, Ipoh respectively. Currently, I am taking computer engineering in Universiti Malaya. Actually, I do not like study since I was young. I am a sporting person. I do not like to sit down and read the books. On the other hands, I like to play basketball, badminton, volleyball and currently I am learning squash. I also like to surf the internet or play computer games when I am free rather than picking up a book and study. Besides, I seldom listen to my parents who always remind me to study. Luckily, I have started to study seriously since I met my girlfriend which means during my upper six time. It is because during that time I finally realize that I will not be able to keep this relationship or give her a good life if I keep on playing around and do not study seriously. With my determination, I finally get a good result in STPM and pursue my study in Universiti Malaya.

In the holiday after the STPM examination, I got a full time job as a sales assistant. My job was to promote and sell mobile phone, camera, video recorder, mp3 player and so forth. Besides the knowledge of all the products I promote, the most valuable experience or knowledge that I get is how to interact or talk to different kinds of person using different languages and different tones because I will meet more than 50 people every day. Furthermore, I have learnt to be patient and control my emotion because when u promote your products or persuade someone to buy your products, it really needs a lot of patience. If the customers scold you although you are right, you cannot get emotional also. In real life, we can avoid a lot of quarrel or conflict if we can control our emotion very well. In addition, I can also get a lot of knowledge through the conversation with the customers.

In my life or a human life, there are many decisions that we have to make. Critical thinking is very important in making decision. But, to me, no matter how good your critical thinking is there will be some people who do not like or agree with what decision you have made or the things you have done. That is why we must have understood this situation. To me, you just have to try your best to make a good decision if there are people trying to offend you, you must listen to them and try to correct what you have done wrongly after you have digested what they say. But, there is no regret to me after I have made a decision. I will only look forward to correct what I have done wrongly without looking backward.

My ambition is to become a successful engineer who is more on hardware or electronics. Salary or money is not that important to me because as an engineer the salary already enough for you to live a simple life. I just hope I can be happy and healthy in the future. The biggest happiness to me is when I see my family members including my girlfriend smiling. This kind of happiness may not be able to buy using money. When I get in to the university, I miss my parents and girlfriend very much. I start to feel the importance of them in my life. In order to make them happy, I will study very hard, get a good job and give them comfortable life. This is the best way to pay back their love and care to me. I think that is my goal or wish for now and future. To me, if a person has a lot of money, it does not mean he or she is happy.

Finally, critical thinking is a very interesting subject to me. It is because it is not a formal subject which you are required to memorize formulas or texts. In the class, we just like sharing with each other because every people have different point of view. I hope I can learn a lot in this class.

2. Find out the definition of thinking and the types of thinking. How do these types of thinking fit yourself for now and future?

A quick Internet search for the expression “What is thinking” associated with educational sites resulted in about 212,000,000 web sites (http://www.google.com, 2010). Actually, thinking has been defined from the early Greek philosophers up to the present. During c384-322 BC, Aristotle argued that there are two basic forms of thinking, contemplation and deliberation. These thinking processes can be executed intelligently or poorly. This argument was based on Aristotle’s belief that the structure of the world is such that it can be understood by logical examination. Contemplations, said Aristotle, led to conclusions whereas deliberations led to decisions. Both concepts are intertwined during our thought processes and one could argue that there is no real difference between reaching a conclusion and making a decision. Thinking is defined as mental forms and processes, respectively. Thinking allows beings to model the world and to represent it according to their objectives, plans, ends and desires. Thinking is a way of reasoning or in other word judgment. Thinking is to have a conscious mind, to some extent of reasoning, remembering experiences and making rational decisions. Thinking is also a conscious and goal-directed mental activity.

There are various types of thinking that exist within the world to help people make sense of why people make the decisions that they do in different situations. All these types of thinking have differences, similarities, weaknesses and strengths that must be compared and contrasted to understand the affect that they have in the decision making process. Every person has a primary type of thinking that is used most to help in his or her decisions. Below is the different types of thinking and their definition.

--Critical thinking--
This is the use of reason to solve a problem, make a decision or form an opinion. The process of examining underlying assumptions, interpreting and evaluating evidence, imagining and exploring alternatives and developing reflective criticism to reach a conclusion. Critical thinking is also convergent thinking. It assesses the worth and validity of something existent. It involves precise, persistent and objective analysis. When teachers try to get several learners to think convergent, they try to help them develop common understanding.

--Creative thinking--
This is divergent thinking. It generates something new or different. It involves having a different idea that works as well or better than previous ideas.

--Convergent thinking--
This type of thinking is cognitive processing of information around a common point, an attempt to bring thoughts from different directions into a union or common conclusion.

--Divergent thinking--
This type of thinking starts from a common point and moves outward into a variety of perspectives. When fostering divergent thinking, teachers use the content as a vehicle to prompt diverse or unique thinking among students rather than a common view.

--Inductive thinking--
This is the process of reasoning from parts to the whole, from examples to generalizations.

--Deductive thinking--
This type of reasoning moves from the whole to its parts, from generalizations to underlying concepts to examples.

--Rational thinking--
This type of thinking is based on reality. It emphasises seeing things as they really are, keeping them in perspective, preferring rather than demanding and self-acceptance. It helps you achieve your goals and purposes. It creates emotions you can handle. It helps you behave in ways which promote your aims and survival.

--Logical thinking--
It is the process of reasoning one's thoughts whether correct or incorrect which leads to critical thinking. The two main steps that are used in logical thinking are deductive logic through syllogisms and inductive logic.

--Emotional thinking--
This thinking can be construed as dangerous because it clouds the mind of effective reasoning and determining of the facts in the given situation. Emotional thinking can get the best of any sane or rational being because it manipulates a person's perception of a situation. In addition, it is one type of thinking that is a personal barrier because it causes a person to make harsh, irrational, and unrealistic decisions on a split second notice.

--Analytical thinking--
This type of thinking requires a person to scan the situation, structure information and clarify understanding.

--Statistical thinking--
This thinking is a philosophy of learning and action based on these fundamental principles which are all work occurs in system of interconnected processes, variation exists in all processes and understanding and reducing variation are keys of success.

--Lateral thinking--
This thinking is to distinguish the kind of artistic creativity from the thinking involved in creating new perceptions and new concepts.

I personally stopped counting the types of thinking because I realized that they are infinite. I guess it’s partially dependent on how you choose to classify. What’s more interesting is that we don’t have the words in our vocabularies to identify each possible type of thinking. As a result, language soon becomes a barrier to the development of new forms of thought. The diagram below shows more types of thinking.

Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Types

In my point of view, the most important thinking that will fit me for now and future is critical and creative thinking. Critical and creative thinking can be described as qualities of good thinking processes and as types of thinking. Creative thinking is generally considered to be involved with the creation or generation of ideas, processes, experiences or objects; critical thinking is concerned with their evaluation.

Critical and creative thinking are interrelated and complementary aspects of thinking. Almost all of the thinking which we undertake contains some critical and some creative aspects. For example, when we try to solve real life problems we move back and forth several times between creative and critical reflection as we develop solutions or weigh the consequences of any one solution. Therefore, in other words, critical and creative thinking is very important in making decision. By having critical and creative thinking, I as a future engineer will be able to come out with the new ideas and good solutions to help the community and make their life more comfortable. Now, it is important for me to improve both critical and creative aspects of thinking.

As a future engineer, I also need to have logical thinking. Logical thinking is the process of reasoning one's thoughts whether correct or incorrect which leads to critical thinking. The two main steps that are used in logical thinking are deductive logic through syllogisms and inductive logic. Deductive logic or thinking consists of two premises or more that leads to a factual conclusion which is hidden within the premises. The conclusion must logically follow the premises in such a way that if the premises are true then the conclusion is true. Premises are declarations that supply the basis of a conclusion. The most basic form of deductive thinking is the syllogism. A syllogism is a form of reasoning which contains two premises and one conclusion; there are three types of syllogisms, categorical, the hypothetical and the disjunctive. Next, inductive logic means that no matter how true or accurate the premises may be the conclusion is uncertain. Evidence and observations accumulated for the premises may form a very probably or likely conclusion however, the conclusion is still uncertain.

Besides, to become a successful engineer, I should have analytical and statistical thinking. By having analytical thinking, I will be able to scan the situation, structure information and clarify understanding. Statistical thinking allows me to identify and understand all the variation that exists. Therefore, I would be able to reduce this variation as understanding and reducing variation are keys of success.

In conclusion, the types of thinking that will fit me for now and future is critical, creative, logical, analytical and statistical thinking. By having these types of thinking, I am not only can become a successful engineer, I will be admired by other people.

References
1. Dictionary.com. (2010). Thinking. Retrieved January 8, 2010, from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/thinking

2. Wikipedia Foundation, Inc. (2010, January). Thought. Retrieved January 8, 2010, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought

3. Australian Technology Network of Universities. (2009, January). Higher Order Thinking. Retrieved January 8, 2010, from http://adt.curtin.edu.au/theses/available/adt-WCU20070525.172626/unrestricted/03Chapt2.pdf

4. Farlex, Inc. (2010). Thinking. Retrieved January 8, 2010, from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/thinking

5. Varnado Elementary. (2009). Types of thinking. Retrieved January 8, 2010, from http://www.ves.wpsb.org/focus/typesofthinking.html

6. Froggatt, W. & Lakeman, R. (1998). Interpretations, Evaluations and Rules. Retrieved January 8, 2010, from http://www.testandcalc.com/Self%20Defeating%20Beliefs/sup6.htm

7. OPPapers.com. (2010). Thinking Styles. Retrieved January 8, 2010, from http://www.oppapers.com/essays/Thinking-Styles/118916

8. OPPapers.com. (2010). Thinking and Decision Making. Retrieved January 8, 2010, from http://www.oppapers.com/essays/Thinking-Decision-Making/1160289.

9. Pearson, C. (2007, February). Types of thinking (diagram). Retrieved January 8, 2010, from http://multispective.wordpress.com/2007/02/14/types-of-thinking-diagram/
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Empty Re: Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Post  Leong Jia Wei KEW080013 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 1:59 am

You'd make both your parents and future soul mate proud...
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 2:04 am

Leong Jia Wei KEW080013 wrote:You'd make both your parents and future soul mate proud...

I hope so Surprised
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 3:19 am

Feel free to drop me some comments. Thanks ya Laughing
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Post  Ooi Tiang Chien KEW080018 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 3:39 am

Leong Jia Wei KEW080013 wrote:You'd make both your parents and future soul mate proud...
I truly agree...your essay is a nice piece with meaningful words...and also the last paragraph of Q1 is...kinda doubtful i would say

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 3:44 am

Ooi Tiang Chien KEW080018 wrote:
I truly agree...your essay is a nice piece with meaningful words...and also the last paragraph of Q1 is...kinda doubtful i would say

Edmund, what did you mean by "my last paragraph doubtful"? Don't understand.
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Post  Ooi Tiang Chien KEW080018 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 3:47 am

Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 wrote:

"Critical thinking is a very interesting subject to me. It is because it is not a formal subject which you are required to memorize formulas or texts." I have some doubts for this statement.....somehow....

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 3:50 am

"Critical thinking is a very interesting subject to me. It is because it is not a formal subject which you are required to memorize formulas or texts." I have some doubts for this statement.....somehow....

It would be an interesting subject. But, may be we need to do a lot of homework.
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Post  Ooi Tiang Chien KEW080018 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 3:55 am

It would be an interesting subject. But, may be we need to do a lot of homework.

I see..yea the homework part is the funless part...I like this subject as well as it's something i always apply in my daily life especially when it involves psychology..

Back to top Go down

Post  tohkharpengkew080022 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 10:21 am

good attitude!!! Smile

tohkharpengkew080022

Back to top Go down

Post  tohguoshenkew080021 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 10:34 am

another plus point, i can see that you apply what you learnt during the full time job

keep it up friend.. you can realize your dream

tohguoshenkew080021

Back to top Go down

Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Empty ohh..!

Post  Hazwan Afiq KEW080010 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 1:06 pm

goodluck with yr study,yr girlfriend,yr ambition....yr blocking and rebounding!! yeah bebeh
afro afro
Hazwan Afiq KEW080010
Hazwan Afiq KEW080010

Back to top Go down

Post  Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 6:39 pm

One thing i would say is, you had a huge turning point in your life after you've met your girl friend, treasure that relationship bro Cool
Admin

https://comp-engin0809.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 6:40 pm

Hazwan Afiq KEW080010 wrote:
goodluck with yr study,yr girlfriend,yr ambition....yr blocking and rebounding!! yeah bebeh
afro afro

ok...I will try my best to improve my blocking and rebounding...Thank for your comment, Wan...
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 6:56 pm

Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 wrote:One thing i would say is, you had a huge turning point in your life after you've met your girl friend, treasure that relationship bro Cool

Yaya. Same as you and Orange. What a Face
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Post  Visha KEW080024 Thu 14 Jan 2010, 7:05 pm

It is really a good piece of work. I just got to know that you are very family attached guy. You are indeed a good son and a boyfriend. Yup, I agree with you, never regret about the decision that you already made. There is no such thing as mistake, just take it as a lesson and learn frm mistakes. Rather than thinking about it, we should be the architect of our future. And yes, money can never promise happiness in our life.

Visha KEW080024

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Fri 15 Jan 2010, 12:50 am

Visha KEW080024 wrote:It is really a good piece of work. I just got to know that you are very family attached guy. You are indeed a good son and a boyfriend. Yup, I agree with you, never regret about the decision that you already made. There is no such thing as mistake, just take it as a lesson and learn frm mistakes. Rather than thinking about it, we should be the architect of our future. And yes, money can never promise happiness in our life.

Thanks for your comment visha cheers
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Post  NURAINRAZI KEW080016 Sat 16 Jan 2010, 7:25 pm

Well Meng Kit,now I know you are a family-type of guy which is a good thing to put family as your priority.Because sometimes as teenager we might forget our responsibility as child by letting friends come first,rather than our own family.Im sure your current girlfriend will certainly be your future wife because u seem like a nice guy. Smile

NURAINRAZI KEW080016

Back to top Go down

Post  WongKiaMing KEW080025 Sat 16 Jan 2010, 7:56 pm

......I like to play basketball, badminton, volleyball and currently I am learning squash. I also like to surf the internet or play computer games when I am free rather than picking up a book and study. Besides, I seldom listen to my parents who always remind me to study. Luckily, I have started to study seriously since I met my girlfriend which means during my upper six time. It is because during that time I finally realize that I will not be able to keep this relationship or give her a good life if I keep on playing around and do not study seriously......

Haha.... Some say love can give us new power, and it really affects you a lot.
ALL HAIL LOVE!!! cheers
WongKiaMing KEW080025
WongKiaMing KEW080025

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Sat 16 Jan 2010, 9:38 pm

WongKiaMing KEW080025 wrote:
......I like to play basketball, badminton, volleyball and currently I am learning squash. I also like to surf the internet or play computer games when I am free rather than picking up a book and study. Besides, I seldom listen to my parents who always remind me to study. Luckily, I have started to study seriously since I met my girlfriend which means during my upper six time. It is because during that time I finally realize that I will not be able to keep this relationship or give her a good life if I keep on playing around and do not study seriously......

ALL HAIL LOVE!!! cheers

Really thanks to my girlfriend who gives me the new power. alien
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Post  Visha KEW080024 Sun 17 Jan 2010, 1:51 pm

ALL HAIL LOVE!!! cheers

Glad for both of you. When is your marraige?? hehe...Dont forget to invite us for your wedding.

Visha KEW080024

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Sun 17 Jan 2010, 3:09 pm

Visha KEW080024 wrote:

ALL HAIL LOVE!!! cheers

Glad for both of you. When is your marraige?? hehe...Dont forget to invite us for your wedding.

Not so fast, Visha. Now, I don't even have a career, house or car. But, I will work hard for it I love you
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Post  Chia Li - Yan KEW080007 Mon 18 Jan 2010, 1:48 pm

Visha KEW080024 wrote:

ALL HAIL LOVE!!! cheers

Not so fast, Visha. Now, I don't even have a career, house or car. But, I will work hard for it I love you

Meeting your girlfriend really unlock a whole new path for you. Hope both of you will live happily ever after.
Chia Li - Yan KEW080007
Chia Li - Yan KEW080007

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Mon 18 Jan 2010, 3:29 pm

Chia Li - Yan KEW080007 wrote:
Visha KEW080024 wrote:

ALL HAIL LOVE!!! cheers

Meeting your girlfriend really unlock a whole new path for you. Hope both of you will live happily ever after.

It sounds like fairy tale Razz Razz Razz
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down