Computer Engineering 08/09
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tohkharpengkeew080022

+8
WongKiaMing KEW080025
Chia Li - Yan KEW080007
Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005
tohguoshenkew080021
lauchunwokew080011
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
tohkharpengkew080022
12 posters

Go down

tohkharpengkeew080022 Empty tohkharpengkeew080022

Post  tohkharpengkew080022 Mon 11 Jan 2010, 11:24 pm

Name:Toh Khar Peng Matric number:KEW 080022
My name is Toh Khar Peng. I was born and raised in the Malaysia, which is located in the South East Asia and was the part of Asia. I finished my High School in my hometown took about six years times, and currently pursue my tertiary education which is in University Malaya. I was taking computer engineering course in university Malaya.
When I first enter university, I feel so weird, a new place , never leave the home since I was born. A lot of feeling likes fear, happy, and uncomfortable were mixing inside my heart, and luckily I was able to overcome this problem by try and knowing the new friends. The people at here are so different at here, because we came from different places. The culture are so different to me used to be. Sometimes, I do dislike some culture but I have try to accept it. The people at here are nice and so different to my friend no matter from what aspect. I am surprised but happy to see it, where I can learn from other.
A lot of people said form 6 are more harder than university , but when I am at here I just realized it was a lie. Actually I feel more stress in university than form 6 because what I learn at here are more harder. And it is so near to graduate , I was afraid I will get no work after graduate. But when I feel stress I will try to play some games or doing some exercise to release it. Sometimes I also go and watch movie or shopping to relax myself, because sometimes you will feel nothing to do and boring.
Sometimes, I will feel sad or upset then I will try and call to my sister ,she will listen me and console me made me feel well.I will try and join some activity to know more friend and gain some extra knowledge in university. From the activity I joined, I learned a lot, how to be a leader ,how to manage all kind of things. That is a great experience which I never test before. But of course it take times , sometime you have to spend the time in joining the activity where maybe can abandon your studies.
I like computer and fixing something like electronic stuff, so I choose the computer engineering course. This course is quite new in Malaysia , only offer in few universities, but it have plenty of years of history in overseas. I am enjoy this course because it is the balanced of computer science and electrical engineering, so I can catch both in a time. I hope I can do well in this four years, and become a true engineer, which can bring the great technology to this world. And I wish to go to japan or united states after graduate because the technology at there are far better than here. So I will try my best in this 4 years.

Name:Toh Khar Peng Matric number:KEW 080022
Definition of thinking

Representative reactions towards stimuli from internal chemical reactions or external environmental factors. The word comes from Old English . þoht, geþoht, from stem of þencan "to conceive of in the mind, consider" [2]
In common language, the word thinking covers numerous diverse psychological activities. It is sometimes a synonym for “tending to believe,” especially with less than full confidence (“I think that it will rain, but I am not sure”). At other times it denotes the degree of attentiveness (“I did it without thinking”) or whatever is in consciousness, especially if it refers to something outside the immediate environment (“It made me think of my grandmother”).
thinking is mental activity which allows beings to model the world, and so to deal with the world effectively according to their own goals, plans, ends and desires. Thinking is manipulating information, as when we form concepts, engage in problem solving, reason and make decisions. A thought may be an idea, an image, a sound or even an emotional feeling that arises from the brain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought#Definition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_of_thought
Critical thinking
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Critical thinking is the purposeful and reflective judgement about what to believe or what to do in response to observations, experience, verbal or written expressions, or arguments. Critical thinking involves determining the meaning and significance of what is observed or expressed, or, concerning a given inference or argument, determining whether there is adequate justification to accept the conclusion as true. Hence, Fisher & Scriven define critical thinking as "Skilled, active, interpretation and evaluation of observations, communications, information, and argumentation."[1] Parker & Moore define it more naturally as the careful, deliberate determination of whether one should accept, reject, or suspend judgment about a claim and the degree of confidence with which one accepts or rejects it.[2]
Critical thinking gives due consideration to the evidence, the context of judgment, the relevant criteria for making the judgment well, the applicable methods or techniques for forming the judgment, and the applicable theoretical constructs for understanding the problem and the question at hand. Critical thinking employs not only logic but broad intellectual criteria such as clarity, credibility, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, significance and fairness.
In contemporary usage "critical" has the connotation of expressing disapproval,[3] which is not always true of critical thinking. A critical evaluation of an argument, for example, might conclude that it is valid.
Thinking is often casual and informal, whereas critical thinking deliberately evaluates the quality of thinking. In a seminal study on critical thinking and education in 1941, Edward Glaser writes that the ability to think critically involves three things:[4]
An attitude of being disposed (state of mind regarding something) to consider in a thoughtful way the problems and subjects that come within the range of one's experiences,
Knowledge of the methods of logical inquiry and reasoning,
Some skill in applying those methods.
Critical thinking calls for a persistent effort to examine any belief or supposed form of knowledge in the light of the evidence that supports it and the further conclusions to which it tends. It also generally requires ability to recognize problems, to find workable means for meeting those problems, to gather and marshal pertinent(relevant) information, to recognize unstated assumptions and values, to comprehend and uselanguage with accuracy, clarity, and discrimination, to interpret data, to appraise evidence and evaluate arguments, to recognize the existence (or non-existence) of logical relationships between propositions, to draw warranted conclusions and generalizations, to put to test the conclusions and generalizations at which one arrives, to reconstruct one's patterns of beliefs on the basis of wider experience, and to render accurate judgments about specific things and qualities in everyday life.
Critical thinking can occur whenever one judges, decides, or solves a problem; in general, whenever one must figure out what to believe or what to do, and do so in a reasonable and reflective way. Reading, writing, speaking, and listening can all be done critically or uncritically. Critical thinking is crucial to becoming a close reader and a substantive writer. Expressed most generally, critical thinking is “a way of taking up the problems of life.”[5] Irrespective of the sphere of thought, “a well cultivated critical thinker":
raises vital questions and problems, formulating them clearly and precisely;
gathers and assesses relevant information, using abstract ideas to interpret it effectively
comes to well-reasoned conclusions and solutions, testing them against relevant criteria and standards;
thinks open-mindedly within alternative systems of thought, recognizing and assessing, as need be, their assumptions, implications, and practical consequences; and
communicates effectively with others in figuring out solutions to complex problems; without being unduly influenced by others thinking on the topic.
Critical thinking is an important element of all professional fields and academic disciplines (by referencing their respective sets of permissible questions, evidence sources, criteria, etc.). Within the framework ofscientific skepticism, the process of critical thinking involves the careful acquisition and interpretation of information and use of it to reach a well-justified conclusion. The concepts and principles of critical thinking can be applied to any context or case but only by reflecting upon the nature of that application. Critical thinking forms, therefore, a system of related, and overlapping, modes of thought such as anthropological thinking, sociological thinking, historical thinking, political thinking, psychologicalthinking, philosophical thinking, mathematical thinking, chemical thinking, biological thinking, ecological thinking, legal thinking, ethical thinking, musical thinking, thinking like a painter, sculptor, engineer, business person, etc. In other words, though critical thinking principles are universal, their application to disciplines requires a process of reflective contextualization.
Critical thinking is important, because it enables one to analyze, evaluate, explain, and restructure our thinking, decreasing thereby the risk of adopting, acting on, or thinking with, a false belief. However, even with knowledge of the methods of logical inquiry and reasoning, mistakes can happen due to a thinker's inability to apply the methods or because of character traits such as egocentrism. Critical thinking includes identification of prejudice, bias, propaganda, self-deception, distortion, misinformation, etc. Given research in cognitive psychology, someeducators believe that schools should focus on teaching their students critical thinking skills and cultivating intellectual traits.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_thinking
Type of thinking
Positive thinking
Positive thinking is a discipline that trains the human mind to change a perceived reality by repeatedly making positive mental statements. A person practices positive thinking when they derive a positive sense of well being, optimism, belonging, meaning and/or purpose from being part of and contributing back to something larger and more permanent than themselves. Positive thinking is a process of choosing positive emotions from stimuli in the environment and applying them to perceptions and beliefs. The objective is to create an outlook that translates into a new or better chosen reality.
Positive thinking can also be described as a type of attitude. Happy, optimistic people are usually described as having positive attitudes and expressing positive thoughts. People who consistently "look on the bright side" are utilizing positive thinking
http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Definition_Positive_Thinking.html
http://www.webcontent.com/articles/6/1/What-is-Positive-Thinking/Page1.html
Negative thinking
Negative thinking are unwelcome, involuntary thoughts, images or unpleasant ideas that may become obsessions, are upsetting or distressing, and can be difficult to be free of and manage. Intrusive thoughts, urges, and images are of inappropriate things at inappropriate times, usually falling into three categories: inappropriate aggressive thoughts, inappropriate sexual thoughts, or blasphemous religious thoughts. Most people experience these thoughts; when they are associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) or depression, they may become paralyzing, anxiety-provoking, and persistent.
http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Articles_Negative_Thoughts.html
Rational thinking
Rational thinking is what you do when you are thinking logically. The second meaning refers to extent to which our thinking is related to our goals.
http://books.google.com.my/books?id=3TsDohbrCVcC&dq=type+of+thinking&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=WqgHrXBE4-&sig=0NXs95b2iHEVMptbbKk9IgOlqDY&hl=en&ei=mMhKS6zXCs6HkQWv37jzAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CCoQ6AEwCDha#v=onepage&q=type%20of%20thinking&f=false
Creative thinking
Looking at problems or situations from a fresh perspective that suggests unorthodox solutions (which may look unsettling at first). Creative thinking can be stimulated both by a freewheeling (unstructured) process such as brainstorming, and by a step by step (structured) process such as lateral thinking.
Lateral thinking
Lateral thinking is a term coined by Edward de Bono, for the solution of problems through an indirect and creative approach. Lateral thinking is about reasoning that is not immediately obvious and about ideas that may not be obtainable by using only traditional step-by-step logic
http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/creative-thinking.html
Analytical thinking
The ability to scrutinize and break down facts and thoughts into their strengths and weakness. Developing the capacity to think in a thoughtful discerning way ,to solve problems analyse data, and recall and use information.
http://www.pathways.edu.eg/subpages/Analytical-Engine.htm
strategic thinking
Strategic thinking focuses on finding and developing unique opportunities to create value by enabling a provocative and creative dialogue among people who can affect a company’s direction. It is the input to strategic planning—good strategic thinking uncovers potential opportunities for creating value and challenges assumptions about a company’s value proposition, so that when the plan is created, it targets these opportunities. Strategic thinking is a way of understanding the fundamental drivers of a business and rigorously (and playfully) challenging conventional thinking about them, in conversation with others.
Parallel thinking
Parallel Thinking is described as a constructive alternative to "adversarial thinking", debate and in general the approach the GG3 (Greek gang of three) has been known to advocate.In general parallel thinking is a further development of the well known lateral thinking processes, focusing even more on explorations — looking for what can be rather than for what is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_thinking

constructive thinking
constructive thinking is understanding thatinterpretations often will have an influence on your emotions.

Most people believe that emotions always come first, and then thoughts come second. When most people become angry, they will have thoughts which are aggressive. When you're sad, you will often begin to develop thoughts which are pessimistic.

While it is true that our feelings do have an effect on our thoughts, the reality is that our thoughts shape our feelings. The distinction between thoughts preceding emotions andemotions preceding thoughts is that one is more conscious, while the other is more preconscious.

Most people are aware of their conscious as opposed to their pre-conscious, this is why we often have impressions about things which are false. But this raises the question of exactly what are interpretations? The best way to describe interpretations is that they are thoughts which are automatic, thoughts that in most cases you won't be aware of. Despite this, they are still thoughts.

Destructive thinking
Destructive thinking is a kind of thinking to focus on the bad things are happening in our life. It is actually an irrational and negative thinking, it can brought a lot of harmful and badness to our life. It always contain self-destructive and negative consequences to us.
http://www.stevenaitchison.co.uk/blog/2008/07/02/8-destructive-thinking-patterns-and-how-to-change-them/
Systems thinking
Systems thinking is the process of predicting, on the basis of anything at all, how something influences another thing. It has been defined as an approach to problem solving, by viewing "problems" as parts of an overall system, rather than reacting to present outcomes or events and potentially contributing to further development of the undesired issue or problem.[1] Systems thinking is a framework that is based on the belief that the component parts of a system can best be understood in the context of relationships with each other and with other systems, rather than in isolation. Systems thinking's focus is on effect, not cause. However, the notion of "systems" has been used by the scientific community who have re-defined "systems thinking" as being focused on "cause" rather than "effect". In science systems, the only way to fully understand why a problem or element occurs and persists is to understand the part in relation to the whole.[2] Standing in contrast to Descartes's scientific reductionism and philosophical analysis, it proposes to view systems in a holistic manner. Consistent with systems philosophy, systems thinking concerns an understanding of a system by examining the linkages and interactions between the elements that compose the entirety of the system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_thinking

the type of thinking fit me and the future
The type of thinking fit me now is constructive thinking and positive thinking. Because now I still at undergraduate, I need to have those kind of thinking to made my studies go smooth.
And I think the type of thinking fit me in the future is creative thinking and strategic thinking. Because when comes to work we need more creative and working witch strategic, and that is an engineer should do.

Last edited by tohkharpengkew080022 on Tue 12 Jan 2010, 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

tohkharpengkew080022

Back to top Go down

tohkharpengkeew080022 Empty Re: tohkharpengkeew080022

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 12:02 am

Wow...Really surprise to hear that you are the first time leave home when you enter university... Cool
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Post  Leong Jia Wei KEW080013 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 12:11 am

So you're scared of leaving home eh? Looks can be deceiving after all...
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013

Back to top Go down

Post  lauchunwokew080011 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 12:29 am

if got any problem try share with us and will try our best to help u... Surprised
lauchunwokew080011
lauchunwokew080011

Back to top Go down

Post  tohguoshenkew080021 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 9:45 am

one thing i agree with you.... it is thougher to study in University than in Form 6 tohkharpengkeew080022 Icon_lol

tohguoshenkew080021

Back to top Go down

Post  Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 7:37 pm

Yes indeed university is a lot tougher than in form 6. Personally i think the reason is because we need to have a continues study in order to do well in university. But it is a good learning as well in the sense that life itself is also a continues study.

p/s: It really hard to believe that it was the first time you leave hometown when you go to university, what a good son~
Admin

https://comp-engin0809.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chia Li - Yan KEW080007 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 7:43 pm

i think those ppl that say studying in university is easier than form6 because we have to study the whole one and half year stuff and apply it all at once in STPM wheres in university, we only tested base on what we have learn during the half year.
Chia Li - Yan KEW080007
Chia Li - Yan KEW080007

Back to top Go down

Post  WongKiaMing KEW080025 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 10:19 pm

Welcome to university life! Smile

Sometimes, I will feel sad or upset then I will try and call to my sister ,she will listen me and console me made me feel well

I wish I have an older brother or sister who is willing to console me.... Wink
WongKiaMing KEW080025
WongKiaMing KEW080025

Back to top Go down

Post  Abdullah KEW080001 Wed 13 Jan 2010, 7:59 am

Playing games and shopping can relieve stress.
Ever thought about a girlfriend?

Abdullah KEW080001

Back to top Go down

Post  LEE JIAN HSIEN KEW080012 Thu 14 Jan 2010, 3:10 pm

A lot of people said form 6 are more harder than university , but when I am at here I just realized it was a lie. Actually I feel more stress in university than form 6 because what I learn at here are more harder.
get used to it and accept it as a challenge... one day you will find that university life is so memorable Twisted Evil

I will try and join some activity to know more friend and gain some extra knowledge in university. From the activity I joined, I learned a lot, how to be a leader ,how to manage all kind of things. That is a great experience which I never test before.
yup, you are very active in your co-k. i believe you have learned a lot from ur participation. Cool

And I wish to go to japan or united states after graduate because the technology at there are far better than here. So I will try my best in this 4 years.
Hopefully i can bid you farewell to work oversea. be strong! you will be the best one! cheers

LEE JIAN HSIEN KEW080012

Back to top Go down

Post  Leong Jia Wei KEW080013 Sat 16 Jan 2010, 9:22 pm

Chia Li - Yan KEW080007 wrote:i think those ppl that say studying in university is easier than form6 because we have to study the whole one and half year stuff and apply it all at once in STPM wheres in university, we only tested base on what we have learn during the half year.

Yeah, but most subjects are also harder to grasp, some subjects even require us to stomach as much as 7 chapters in just about 4 months!
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Sat 16 Jan 2010, 9:47 pm

Abdullah KEW080001 wrote:Playing games and shopping can relieve stress.
Ever thought about a girlfriend?

Yeah...You should have a girlfriend. She really can help you release many stress or tension.
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Post  NURAINRAZI KEW080016 Mon 18 Jan 2010, 5:56 pm

khar peng,dont worry so much on the future whether to be employed or not for now.Just try to srtive for excellence.Of course good pointer may also cant guarantee you a perfect job as you desire because the environment in study place and working place are totally different.It all depends for us on how to adapt it.

NURAINRAZI KEW080016

Back to top Go down

Post  Visha KEW080024 Mon 18 Jan 2010, 7:39 pm

I feel we as matriculation leavers are having harder time compared to you guys. But, basically university is harder la, consistency plays an important role..and dont worry much about the future. focus on the present. Just do your part, and the rest leave to God.

Visha KEW080024

Back to top Go down

Post  LEE JIAN HSIEN KEW080012 Mon 18 Jan 2010, 8:33 pm

the moment when we opted for comp eng as our first choice, we should aware and realize that tis course is not so popular, espacially in malaysia. even more worst, we are the 2nd intake. it doesnt guarantee job for us, same as other courses. but what can we do? perhaps we can only do what Visha has said, just do our best, and the rest leave to the God to decide.

LEE JIAN HSIEN KEW080012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum