Computer Engineering 08/09
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ng Chee Ling KEW080015

3 posters

Go down

Ng Chee Ling KEW080015 Empty Ng Chee Ling KEW080015

Post  Ng Chee Ling KEW080015 Mon 18 Jan 2010, 11:23 pm

NG CHEE LING
KEW080015
KXEX 2163 THINKING AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS

1) Find a newspaper article and write a comment about it.
http://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news.cfm?NewsID=70169

Student charged for Facebook 'petrol bomb' remark

Ke nak aku baling bom petrol di sana plak?...harga boleh runding..." (Do you want me to throw a petrol bomb there? ... the price is negotiable).

This is among the comments that landed 25-year-old Tasyrif Tajuddin in hot soup.

The film studies student with the government-owned Aswara National Academy of Arts and Heritage in Kuala Lumpur was charged at the Petaling Jaya Sessions Court this afternoon for 'making threatening comments with the intent to cause harm'. It is believed that Tasyrif had made the comments on his friend's status message, on the popular social networking site Facebook.
In one of the comments, he said that he was responsible for procuring the substance used in the homemade explosive with regards to the spate of attacks on churches.

He also claimed that he was at the scene but was not present when a petrol bomb was hurled at a particular church.

Tasyrif was charged under Section 233(1)(a) of the Communications and Multimedia Act which carries a punishment of one year jail and/or RM50,000 fine if found guilty.

The student was unrepresented while deputy public prosecutor Dusuki Mokhtar led the prosecution.

Dusuki said Tasyrif is being charged only for the comments he made on Facebook and not for the act of arson itself.

The student is the first person to be prosecuted in relation to the attacks.

As of yesterday, 10 churches have been targeted in the wake of a high court ruling that a Catholic weekly Herald can use the word Allah in their publication's Malay pages.

We should be careful of what we have written or said on web. A person who really has bad intentions would not advertise on any network facilities especially Facebook for the world to see. I think Tasyrif is just a common and infamous young man who tries to highlight himself but unfortunately he got the wrong topic at the wrong time. To think positively, being a film studies student, he already famous even before he has make his own film. Perhaps he used it as a channel to catch others’ attention, well; this is apparently a wrong example. This guy is just immature, and has been let off with stern warning.

Tasyrif has misused Facebook with the intention to cause disturbance. Posting such remarks is sensitive and dangerous and may also cause unnecessary distress to other people. We have the freedom of speech, we also need to responsible to what we have said even it is just a joke. Jokes can be defined in many ways. Sometime people will think that that is a joke, sometime they won’t. Different person has different views, and hence we need to be careful when talk about some topics, especially sensitive issues. We should not pour oil over the flames in this critical moment even though that is only a hoax.

Justice must not be denied. Ignorance of the law excuses no one – this is a legal principle holding that a person who is unaware of a law may not escape liability for violating that law merely because he or she was unaware of its content. As a human being, we have the freedom of religion and we should not intervene in others’ religious belief. Tasyrif must be unexpected that his extremism might cause him being charged with threatening public safety. He is absolute ignorance. We hope that Tasyrif can learn from the story: Don’t simply play around with serious/sensitive issues.

2) Find a live speech on youtube and write a comment about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7bHkH779qg&feature=related

President Obama said that he was "surprised and deeply humbled" by the decision of the Norwegian Nobel Committee to award him the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize. The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 is to be awarded to President Barack Obama for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples.

"I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments. But rather as an affirmation of American leadership. ... I will accept this award as a call to action."

The decision appeared to catch most observers by surprise. Nominations for the prize had to be postmarked by February 1, only 12 days after Obama took office. The committee sent out its solicitation for nominations last September, two months before Obama was elected president.

Obama said he did not feel he deserved "to be in the company" of past Peace Prize winners, but would accept the prize while pushing for a broad range of international objectives, including nuclear nonproliferation, a reversal of the global economic downturn and a resolution of the Arab-Israeli conflict. He also acknowledged the ongoing U.S. conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, noting that he is the "commander in chief of a country that is responsible for ending a war and working in another theater to confront a ruthless adversary that directly threatens the American people" and U.S. allies.

"This award is not simply about my administration," he said. It "must be shared" with everyone who strives for "justice and dignity."

As one of the Obama supporters (though I’m not an American), I think that he may earn such an honor one day, but he hasn't ready yet. The nominations deadline was February 1st. Obama became president on January 20th. Does this mean he did enough in 12 days to win a Nobel prizes? Almost 2 weeks into his Presidency, he had not earned this. It really seems like the medal being handed to someone at the very beginning of the race. He has the potential to do well, but they should not give the Nobel prizes to someone who hasn't done anything special yet. In my point of view, the Nobel committee has to option to not give a prize in a given year if there are no suitable candidates. A prize like this should be awarded based on what somebody does, not on what they represent. I'm just glad that the Nobel prizes in the sciences are still awarded based on achievement. President Obama is talked about stuff and said he wants to do some things but there is no any list of his concrete achievements. He hasn't even really accomplished/completed anything since then. And the Nobel committee did not really mention that Obama has brought peace to any region. It makes public skeptical of Obama's Nobel Win.
Ng Chee Ling KEW080015
Ng Chee Ling KEW080015

Back to top Go down

Ng Chee Ling KEW080015 Empty Re: Ng Chee Ling KEW080015

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Tue 19 Jan 2010, 10:21 am

Ms Ng...Same article also... Razz
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Post  Leong Jia Wei KEW080013 Thu 21 Jan 2010, 2:28 pm

Tasyrif Tajuddin may have flushed his filming career down the the toilet with such a comment!

In my humble opinion, Obama is too young to receive the Peace Prize. They should have left the prize vacated if there's no suitable candidate...
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down