Computer Engineering 08/09
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ng Chee Ling KEW080015

+4
WongKiaMing KEW080025
tohkharpengkew080022
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013
Ng Chee Ling KEW080015
8 posters

Go down

Ng Chee Ling KEW080015 Empty Ng Chee Ling KEW080015

Post  Ng Chee Ling KEW080015 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 9:32 am

1) Write about yourself critically.

My name is Ng Chee Ling. I live in Johor Bahru which people might think that it is an unsafe place due to those snatch thefts and robbery cases. Honestly, I do not think Johor Bahru is unsafe. For me everywhere is unsafe. If you are wearing a gold chain or branded bag walking alone at the roadside, wherever you go, you are unsafe. Robbers will attack you no matter which location you are at! You are the person created the 'unsafe zone' for yourself in this case. Frankly, I like Johor Bahru very much since it is the place I born and is full of my childhood memories.

I have 3 elder sisters and two awesome parents. I like drawing since I was four years old. Thanks to the ability, I took part in many drawing competitions and had been awarded with lots of prizes. Besides, I was active in sports since primary school. I love running very much and I have been awarded as the best athlete in year 1999. My parents took education seriously. With the hard work in studies and ardor in sports, I entered one of the premium secondary school in Johor Bahru, S.M.K.I.J. Convent. I was one of the active members in sports and I was greatly impressed by the team spirits of the sport team in this girl school. I have learned to be self-motivated and gain some leadership skills through those trainings. I’m really proud to be one of them. With the balance in sports and academies, I successfully entered University of Malaya to continue my studies.

Currently I’m a second year student pursuing bachelor degree of computer engineering. For me, engineering is not an easy course partly because it makes use of, but is not the same as, science. Engineers use science, physics and mathematics in particular, as tools. As with all tools, learning how to use these scientific tools takes hard work, largely because they are not intuitive and not reinforced by day-to-day living.

Years of hard work are required to become an engineer. Many people will think that after of four years of university studying engineering, they can make good money. For me, it's not all about the money. Engineering is a very broad field, unlike other jobs that require us to do the same thing over and over; the work of engineers greatly varies. Since science and technology are constantly expanding, there will always be new problems to solve that I will rarely be bored. In engineering, I will find myself constantly finding new ways to solve problems. In facing challenges, I’m encouraged to "think outside of the box" and explore new possibilities. Engineering is all about developing new products that meet societal and consumer needs in making life better for everybody.

As an engineer, I hope I will be able to see that I’m actually making a difference in the world. Engineering is a field that used to dominate by men. It requires many different perspectives to find a single workable solution. As a girl, I have the power to show the world that what I can do. I’ll never follow the crowd-show people that I’m unique but just as capable as anyone else.

2) Find out the definition of “thinking” and types of thinking; See how those types of thinking actually fit you, now and future.
Thinking is to analyze, examine and sort out information and form in the mind ideas or opinions, to perform any mental operation, to reason, to bring to mind or recollect, to determine, resolve and to work things out.

Thinking is to use the mind for processing imagination and information, to arrive at logical conclusions, from premises known and or assumed to be true for making imaginative decisions.

To think is to reason about or reflect on, to ponder. Think the matter through creatively. To decide by reasoning, reflection or pondering, thinking what to believe, what to say or what to do.

To think is to learn of, or from, by analyzing what one could learn by thinking about the newly acquired knowledge, thought, suggestion and or idea, in order to learn and accept as truth.

Thinking is to bring one's mind into a given condition by mental preoccupation, to exercise the power of one's mind by reasoning and by conceiving ideas, drawing inferences, and using or arriving to a judgment.

There are six types of thinking:

1) Critical thinking - This is convergent thinking. It assesses the worth and validity of something existent. It involves precise, persistent, objective analysis.

2) Creative thinking - This is divergent thinking. It generates something new or different. It involves having a different idea that works as well or better than previous ideas.

3) Convergent thinking - This type of thinking is cognitive processing of information around a common point, an attempt to bring thoughts from different directions into a union or common conclusion.

4) Divergent thinking - This type of thinking starts from a common point and moves outward into a variety of perspectives.

5) Inductive thinking - This is the process of reasoning from parts to the whole, from examples to generalizations.

6) Deductive thinking - This type of reasoning moves from the whole to its parts, from generalizations to underlying concepts to examples.

I was struggle between divergent thinking and inductive thinking while considering all the different types of thinking which fits me more. If I would give a chance to choose only one, I think it would be inductive thinking, even though sometimes I think divergently or creatively.

When thinking about a certain situation or problem, I would like to consider it from multiple perspectives. In real life, when faced with a problem, I would consider some alternative solutions and weigh the positives versus the negatives of each one. After doing comparison between the choices I have made, I would combine what I have got to find the best solution.

I am great at making my own decisions but sometimes I need help too. This is because sometimes I would be in “ideological confusion” when there are lots of options present, but I can’t even make a good decision and solution without a clear mindset. In this case, I would get help from someone who has dealt with a similar problem.

Engineers apply the principles of science and mathematics to develop economical solutions to technical problems. Their work is the link between scientific discoveries and the commercial applications that meet societal and consumer needs. In this case, as an engineer, I believe that inductive thinking will help me to look into the solution from multiple perspectives and can hence evaluate the overall effectiveness, cost, reliability, and safety of the design.

REFERENCES:
1) http://www.venusproject.com/ecs/to_think.html
2) http://www.ves.wpsb.org/focus/typesofthinking.html
3) http://www.careerpath.com/landing/200944-career-planner-quiz-results---engineering
4) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer#Education.2C_training_and_skills
Ng Chee Ling KEW080015
Ng Chee Ling KEW080015

Back to top Go down

Ng Chee Ling KEW080015 Empty Re: Ng Chee Ling KEW080015

Post  Leong Jia Wei KEW080013 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 9:59 am

Looking forward to see you make a difference in the engineering field.
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013
Leong Jia Wei KEW080013

Back to top Go down

Post  Ng Chee Ling KEW080015 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 10:02 am

insyaALLXH~ cheers
Ng Chee Ling KEW080015
Ng Chee Ling KEW080015

Back to top Go down

Post  tohkharpengkew080022 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 10:04 am

zzzz.y you dun wanted to become an artist or some regarding to drawing field leh.waste your potential.

tohkharpengkew080022

Back to top Go down

Post  Ng Chee Ling KEW080015 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 10:09 am

tohkharpengkew080022 wrote:zzzz.y you dun wanted to become an artist or some regarding to drawing field leh.waste your potential.

this is a long story man~if I lucky enough I will be studying Architecture now...T T
Ng Chee Ling KEW080015
Ng Chee Ling KEW080015

Back to top Go down

Post  WongKiaMing KEW080025 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 10:22 am

I did not know you are good in drawing also Shocked

tohkharpengkew080022 wrote:zzzz.y you dun wanted to become an artist or some regarding to drawing field leh.waste your potential.

Khar Peng....i know you are good in hunting girls.
why don't you become a playboy? Razz
wakakak
WongKiaMing KEW080025
WongKiaMing KEW080025

Back to top Go down

Post  Ng Chee Ling KEW080015 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 10:36 am

WongKiaMing KEW080025 wrote:I did not know you are good in drawing also Shocked

wakakak

of course u don't know...i'm a very low profile person.... What a Face

Indeed...kharpeng is also a low profile person... cyclops
Ng Chee Ling KEW080015
Ng Chee Ling KEW080015

Back to top Go down

Post  Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 7:09 pm

Yeah engineering is a very wide field, you might just end up engineering something related with painting or paints? who knows~

p/s: Btw.. wanna try design our Computer Engineering T-Shirt?? Twisted Evil
Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005
Chan Xing Khuan KEW080005
Admin

https://comp-engin0809.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chia Li - Yan KEW080007 Fri 15 Jan 2010, 12:39 am

Ng Chee Ling KEW080015 wrote:1)
As a girl, I have the power to show the world that what I can do.

show the world what girl's capable of..!!
Chia Li - Yan KEW080007
Chia Li - Yan KEW080007

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006 Fri 15 Jan 2010, 6:52 pm

Ng Chee Ling KEW080015 wrote:
WongKiaMing KEW080025 wrote:I did not know you are good in drawing also Shocked

wakakak

of course u don't know...i'm a very low profile person.... What a Face

Indeed...kharpeng is also a low profile person... cyclops

Kharpeng low profile. Are you sure Question
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006
Cheah Meng Kit KEW080006

Back to top Go down

Post  Visha KEW080024 Sun 17 Jan 2010, 1:07 pm

Although you are small in size, but from your physical structrure I can see that you must have been active in sports. And you Chinese girls are awesome in drawing and painting which i envy of..hehe..and yea as a girl, I am pretty sure that you can become a good engineer. All the best!

Visha KEW080024

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down